Jail sentence for setting up website about tainted milk powder

first_img Receive email alerts Follow the news on China Organisation November 10, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Jail sentence for setting up website about tainted milk powder Reporters Without Borders calls for the immediate release of Zhao Lianhai(赵连海), an activist who was sentenced to two and a half years in prison in Beijing today on a charge of “inciting social unrest” for creating a website about the effects on young children of contaminated milk powder sold by the Chinese company Sanlu. Detained since November 2009, Zhao has appealed against the verdict and has begun a hunger strike.“The authorities are again targeting citizens who use the Internet to campaign for action that is to everyone’s benefit,” Reporters Without Borders said. “It is yet another dramatic illustration of a lack of humanity on the part of the Chinese authorities and how censorship can prove to be criminal. Zhao should not only be freed at once but also officially commended for his altruistic commitment.”Zhao set up his website as a source of information for the parents of children affected by milk powder that had been adulterated with melamine, a chemical used in plastics and fertilizer, to make the milk appear to have a higher protein content. Consumption of the tainted milk caused kidney problems and in some cases kidney stones.An estimated 300,000 children in China were made ill, 50,000 were hospitalised and at least six new-born babies died as result of consuming the milk powder. Himself the father of one of the children who was made ill, Zhao used the website to urge parents to bring a class action suit against those responsible.How the scandal came to light to go further News The government was aware of the tainted milk scandal as early as December 2007 but hushed it up in order not to hurt China’s image in the run-up to the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. He Feng, an investigative journalist with a weekly in the south of the country, began collecting detail information about the problem in July 2008 but the government issued a detailed list of 21 subjects that could not be covered before or during the games. Point 8 on the list said: “All stories relating to food safety, such as mineral water that causes cancer, are off-limits.”The problem only came out into the open in September 2008. The system of censorship imposed by the state had a disastrous impact of the health of tens of thousands of new-born infants in China and other countries to which this tainted milk powder was exported. Many children were made ill because researchers and journalists had been prevented from informing the public.The Chinese government claims to have set up a “compensation fund” for the children affected, but many are not eligible under the restrictive criteria used. Some of those responsible for the tainted milk were brought to trial and two people have been sentenced to death.Other jailed netizensComing as this year’s Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo(刘哓波) continues to serve his 11-year jail term, Zhao Lianhai’s sentence seems to signal a determination on the part of the Chinese government to maintain its systematic censorship. Many environmentalists, HIV/AIDS activists and campaigners on other sensitive issues have been convicted or are awaiting prosecution.Netizens who have spoken out online about subjects of public interest are also among those who have been unjustly imprisoned. They include the blogger Tan Zuoren, who was sentenced on 9 February to five years in prison on a charge of “inciting subversion of the state” for criticising the poor construction of schools that collapsed in the Sichuan earthquake killing many children. He also posted articles critical of the government and the crackdown on the 1989 pro-democracy moment.Fellow Sichuan resident Huang Qi, a human rights activist and founder of the 64Tianwang website, was sentenced to three years in prison on 23 November 2009 on a charge of “illegal possession of state secrets” because he criticised the conditions of the survivors of the Sichuan earthquake and the government’s inadequate relief efforts.As Zhao Lianhai’s lawyer, Li Fangping, said, these men just did their duty as citizens to act in the public interest.A total of 31 journalists and 75 netizens are currently detained in China, which is on the Reporters Without Borders list of “Enemies of the Internet” and is ranked 171st out of 178 countries in its latest world press index. Zhao Lianhai’s son News April 27, 2021 Find out more June 2, 2021 Find out more Newscenter_img RSF_en Zhao Lianhai’s son, who has been affected by milk powder, is demonstrating to free his father. On his sign: “Daddy, I love you”. ChinaAsia – Pacific Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes ChinaAsia – Pacific News China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures Help by sharing this information March 12, 2021 Find out more China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prisonlast_img read more

Journalist flees to Thailand after death threats

first_img Follow the news on Cambodia CambodiaAsia – Pacific CambodiaAsia – Pacific July 27, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist flees to Thailand after death threats News December 28, 2020 Find out more RSF decries Cambodian plan for Chinese-style “Great Firewall” to go further January 21, 2021 Find out more News Help by sharing this information center_img News Google experiments drop Australian media from search results February 24, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts News Organisation Cambodian journalist gets 20 months in jail for livestream RSF_en Reporters Without Borders today deplored “harassment and death threats” that have forced editor-in-chief You Saravuth to flee to neighbouring Thailand after printing an article criticising a nephew of prime minister Hun Sen. It called on the government to arrest those who made the threats and for the immediate dropping of legal action concerning the article, as well as protection for the editor’s family.The twice-weekly opposition paper Sralanh Khmer had reported on 15 June 2006 that the nephew, Hun Tho, had illegally seized land. You Saravuth then got many death threats, including from Hun Tho himself, who summoned him to his house and began legal action against him for “inaccurate news.”The charge is punishable by up to a year in prison if the authorities choose to prosecute under the 1992 laws of the UN Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC) rather than the more liberal 1993 press law. The Alliance for Freedom of Expression in Cambodia (AFEC) says courts habitually use the harsher UNTAC laws.You Saravuth told Reporters Without Borders he would ask for asylum in Thailand and said his wife, who was still in Cambodia, was now being threatened too.The editor of another opposition paper, Meakneak Sékarkhmer (Khmer Conscience), is being sued for libel by Funcinpec party leader Prince Norodom Ranariddh. last_img read more

Fears for future of Mr Binman

first_imgAdvertisement Linkedin NewsLocal NewsFears for future of Mr BinmanBy admin – October 13, 2011 1381 WhatsApp Print Facebookcenter_img FEARS surround over 600 direct and indirect jobs at one of the country’s largest waste removal service providers, after examiners moved into its Limerick offices this Wednesday. A hive of administrative activity was reported at the Luddenmore headquarters in recent days, where it is believed an extensive investigation into the future and stability of the company was undertaken. It is alleged that the company experienced financial difficulties in recent months and years.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up An application submitted this Wednesday morning to the High Court on behalf of Mr Binman, sought court protection for the company. Affidavits have been furnished to the chancery court list and the matter is due to be heard again on October 18. However, in the interim, Mr Billy O’Riordan of Pricewaterhouse Coopers has been appointed as examiner to Mr Binman and its subsidiary companies, Greenport Environmental, Rural Refuse and Recycling and Clearpoint Recycling Ltd. Under the helm of Mr Martin Sheehan Snr since 1994, Mr Binman through the Sheehan family has site locations at Grange in Kilmallock, and Carrick-on-Suir, with accompanying offices in Clonmel, Ennis, Newcastle West and Limerick city. The company is now under the management of Mr. Martin Sheehan Jnr. In recent weeks, a decision was made by Bank of Scotland (Ireland) to withdraw its support and the company directors sought examinership to negotiate and restructure its debts.With a price war rampant throughout the industry, the company was said to be “compromised,” following claims that lending institutions sought to recoup on their lending.But Mr Binman say that they have an investor willing to inject the companies with finance to fund their working capital. Four years ago the company was involved in the purchase of a bio mass site in Foynes, for a reported €17 million.Other purchases made in recent years include a €5 million farm in Kilmallock, adjacent to the Luddenmore site. Mr Binman recently launched a service in the Cork area. Discounted services were also launched in Waterford.It has been suggested that an imminent rescue package could be put in place, while a firesale of the company to competitors is also seen as a possibility, should the proposed business plan fail to secure long-term viability.Financial difficulties and the resistance of the Bank of Scotland Ireland to make finances available to Mr Binman were alluded to during court proceedings brought against the company by local authorities. In 2010, Mr Binman was fined at Limerick District Court over its non compliance with Environment legislation, as it left over 30,000 of its customers without a suitable wheelie bin for the collection of recycling waste. The company stated that it was unable to get credit from the bank to carry out the necessary upgrade and roll-out of the bins to its customers, further stating that despite this it would still endeavour to complete its regulatory obligations.Company financial data was also withheld from the public domain during a recent court case, being deemed to be “sensitive information”. The company was convicted of breaches of the health and safety and fined €40,000 over an incident where an employee lost his life in an onsite accident in 2008. Recently, Mr Binman tried to overcome financial difficulties without the support of the UK bank and endeavoured to test trial a pilot initiative for the collection of rubbish bins before 8am in the city centre.The initiative began in mid-September and was to run for a month and if successful, plans were to be furnished to run the scheme throughout the city centre. The company believes that it has a viable business plan despite the financial turmoil it faces. Previous articleHuman remains found in John’s SquareNext articleGuitar and saxophone sing from the States admin Twitter Emaillast_img read more

Update on the latest in sports:

first_imgThe club says players will have the option to start practicing at the team’s training center after the Spanish government decided to ease some of its lockdown measures. Non-essential workers will be allowed to return to their positions this week while observing social-distancing guidelines and other restrictions.In other developments related to the coronavirus pandemic:— Former British soccer star Kenny Dalglish has expressed “immense gratitude” to National Health Service staff after returning home from the hospital following his coronavirus diagnosis. The 69-year-old former Celtic, Scotland and Liverpool forward was hospitalized on Wednesday for treatment on gallstones and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19 despite not showing symptoms.— Smaller cities and communities are dealing with the cancellation of showcase sporting events. For Oklahoma City, that means losing the Women’s College World Series. The annual event determines the NCAA softball championship. It has been hosted by Oklahoma City every year but one since 1990. Last year, it brought in an estimated $14 million to the city and its businesses. Even more was expected this year because of a stadium seating expansion.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditMLB-OBIT-BECKERTGlenn Beckert, 4-time All-Star second baseman for Cubs, diesCHICAGO (AP) — Glenn Beckert, a four-time All-Star second baseman for the Chicago Cubs in the 1960s and ’70s, died Sunday. He was 79. Update on the latest in sports: He said, “If you’re not trying to win at all costs, what on earth are you doing there?”Moss was hospitalized with a chest infection in 2016 that led to him retiring from public life in 2018.SPORTS-VIRUS OUTBREAKSpanish soccer team to resume trainingUNDATED (AP) — A Spanish soccer team plans to have its players resume training individually this week. Real Sociedad would become the first Spanish soccer club to resume activities during the coronavirus pandemic. Citing his family, the Cubs said he died of natural causes in Florida.Playing alongside Hall of Famers Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ron Santo and Ferguson Jenkins, Beckert won a Gold Glove in 1968 and made four straight All-Star teams for Chicago starting in 1969. He had the best strikeout-to-at-bat ratio in the National League five times and finished third in average when he hit a career-high .342 in 1971.Beckert batted .283 in 11 seasons with Chicago (1965-73) and the San Diego Padres (1974-75).He is survived by daughters Tracy Seaman and Dana Starck and longtime partner Marybruce Standley.AUTO RACING-OBIT-MOSScenter_img Former Formula One driver Stirling Moss dead at 90LONDON (AP) — Motor racing great Stirling Moss has died at the age of 90.The daring and speed-loving Englishman was widely regarded as the greatest Formula One driver never to win the world championship.Moss’ wife said he died peacefully at his London home following a long illness. Susan Moss says “it was one lap too many. He just closed his eyes.”Moss was affectionately known as “Mr. Motor Racing” and had a fearless and often reckless attitude. That took a toll on his slight body and his career ended at age 31 after a horrific crash. Moss won 16 of the 66 F1 races he entered. Associated Press April 12, 2020last_img read more

Badgers hope to rebound against Nittany Lions

first_imgMATTHEW KUTZ/Herald photoAs the Badgers approach their rematch with Penn State, the signs might point to a season sweep for the Nittany Lions.No. 3 Penn State (19-2, 10-0 Big Ten) comfortably parked itself atop the Big Ten volleyball standings with a two-game lead, thanks to a perfect first half of the season.But while the Lions are clicking on all cylinders, the Badgers (16-3, 8-2), who slipped four spots in the rankings to No. 11, have sputtered a bit at midseason. With an illness plaguing senior outside hitter and co-captain Aubrey Meierotto, UW barely got by Michigan State in five games, then lost ground in the conference race with a heartbreaking defeat — 16-14 in the fifth game — at unranked Michigan.”Aubrey brings so much to the team in a couple of different areas,” said head coach Pete Waite. “She is a great attacker with great pace on the ball. She’s able to block some of the best hitters in the conference, and she probably has the toughest serve on our team.”You take those three factors out, and you’ve got to make up a lot to stay at the level we’ve been playing,” Waite continued.Now, with Meierotto expected to return for Friday night’s match at University Park, the Badgers will try to recover and steal a win against Penn State tonight, followed by a match with Ohio State (14-5, 7-3), just one game back and nipping at Wisconsin’s heels.With the surprising loss to Michigan, and two upcoming games that UW could potentially lose, the Badgers are determined to not tumble from their elite status in the Big Ten.”[The Michigan loss] motivated us. That game showed us how much harder we have to work,” outside hitter Audra Jeffers said. “I think it was just a great learning experience for everyone, and it’s helped us prepare for this weekend.”Outside hitter Maria Carlini is coming off the best match of her career, posting a personal-best 29 kills against the Wolverines. Obviously, Carlini found it difficult to enjoy her breakout match in defeat.”I just wish we could have come out with the ‘W,'” Carlini said. “It was hard, losing 16-14 in the fifth game. It was just tough. But everyone battled, everyone fought hard.”Carlini said that the Badgers learned some things from a lesser Michigan team that can be put into effect against Penn State.”It taught us that we have to be aggressive right from the get-go, and not wait until we’re down four or five points before we start to really play our game,” she said. “It taught us we need to be stronger when we do get the lead and maintain it, to not let anyone take it from us.”On Oct. 8, the Lions came into the Field House and were greeted by a crowd of 6,774 fans, the third-largest attendance in the country this year. Seeing as Penn State was unfazed by the road atmosphere, the Badgers have had to undertake some extra preparation before going to University Park.”Where we thought we were working hard, we weren’t working hard enough,” Jeffers said. “This week, everyone has come in with the mentality that we just have to step it up every play in practice, every drill, and just work a lot harder as a team.”Like any good team, Wisconsin has kept a short-term memory when it comes to past results against both the Lions and the Buckeyes. The Ohio State match on Oct. 7, one night before the Penn State defeat, was just as decisive, but fell in UW’s favor.”We’re trying not to focus on those matches, we’re trying to look at what we did wrong when we played Penn State the last time, what we need to improve on,” Jeffers said. “We’re not dwelling on the loss or celebrating the win, we’re just going to move on and try to beat [both teams] this weekend.”Waite said the team is staying positive about its chances to knock off a faster Penn State squad by remembering that upsets do happen.”We’ve got to realize that on any given day, anybody can play great ball,” Waite said. “Michigan had been a team at the middle of the pack, but they are very capable of playing with the best in the conference.””Any time you’re a higher-ranked team, people are going to go after you,” he continued. “So obviously, against Penn State, we’re going to have to raise our level of play and the speed of our game to stay right with them.”last_img read more