Limerick man caught with bag of drugs outside hospital

first_imgLimerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Print Twitter Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash NewsLimerick man caught with bag of drugs outside hospitalBy Staff Reporter – November 5, 2016 1514 WhatsApp WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Facebookcenter_img Advertisement Previous articleIce cream vans used as cover for Limerick drug dealerNext articleRugby – Ulster Bank League Weekend Previews Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Linkedin Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR The evidence was heard at Limerick Circuit CourtA MAN who was caught outside a hospital emergency department with more than a kilo of cannabis herb is to be sentenced next month.Padraig O’Connor (37), from St Joseph’s Park, Dromcollogher, pleaded guilty in October to drugs offences contrary to Section 15a of the Misuse of Drugs Act.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up During a sentence hearing at Limerick Circuit Court last week, Judge Tom O’Donnell heard that drug squad detectives saw the father-of-one acting suspiciously outside the hospital on April 29, 2014They stopped and questioned him but he ran off, only to be apprehended after a short chase.A polkadot Lidl shopping shopping bag he was carrying contained more than 1.1kg of cannabis with an estimated street value in excess of €20,000.Prosecution Counsel John O’Sullivan said O’Connor admitted he went to McDonalds in Dooradoyle and “met individuals who he picked up some weed from”.He told gardai that he “got a phone call earlier while he was in the city centre and was instructed to go to the hospital and stop outside McDonalds along the way.Two months earlier, he met the same individuals in Newcastle West when his friend wanted a smoke of weed. Other than that, he had nothing to do with.On a previous occasion he “got some weed, paid €400 for it and did nothing else only gave it to three or four of his friends”, Mr O’Sullivan said.Mr O’Connell told gardai that he subsequently bought the larger batch of drugs for €3,000 and intended keeping some before giving it back.Defence counsel Anthony Samon asked Judge O’Donnell to sanction a probation service report so as to allow a number of factors to be considered by the court.The case was adjourned until to December O’Connell was released on his own bail. Email TAGSdrugshospitallimerick last_img read more

Esports Battle League and WHAM announce partnership

first_imgScott O’Leary, Esports Battle LeagueThe Esports Battle League (EBL) and WHAM Network Inc.,have today announced a digital media partnership set to kick off in June ahead of the inaugural season of the EBL. The joint venture marks the first media deal for EBL, and moreover, the first esports distribution deal for WHAM. The EBL is an interesting one, as the league, despite not having announced the titles involved, recently announced that it had sold three franchise slots for $1 million a piece. Backed and run by Rivalcade, the league willconsist of a number of geo-located franchised spots across North America.If you know your US geography, you can check these out in full here. The confirmed franchise slots are Elevate in Denver, Circa in Miami and Simplicity in Las Vegas. The WHAM Network is partnered with content distributor Cinedigm. According to the press release, WHAM’s distribution will ‘include participation on embedded, mobile, and connected device platforms across the world, with programming and content focusing on the lifestyle and culture of gaming on a global basis’. Outside of just North America, WHAM will also be rolling out in East Asia as part of Cinedigm’s reciprocal distribution partnership with China.The EBL was co-founded by Scott O’Leary, and has some considerable traditional sports involvement too with former National Lacrosse League Commissioner George Daniel, and former NBA Players Association Chief Counsel Bob Lanza making up the founding trio. The EBL features head-to-head team matches in a best-of-three format. It’ll pit teams against each other in ‘a variety of popular genre-spanning titles’. The EBL expects to field eight to ten teams in the upcoming season, each competing in a traditional league format with the team that has the best two out of three scores advancing in the competition.  Scott O’Leary, EBL Co-founder and CEO commented: “The number of people involved in the lifestyle and culture of gaming is expanding at an exponential rate, with yearly revenue growth projecting it to be a 1.5 billion dollar business by 2020. As such, we are very excited to become a lasting part of this flourishing community with the launch of our initial season. “We look forward to streaming intense esports matches paired with exclusive shoulder content that includes in-depth player interviews, gameplay analysis, and specials highlighting the road to the championship each widely distributed across the extensive WHAM Network, which is dedicated to creating and distributing quality content in this space.”“We love the EBL vision,” noted Gary Kleinman, WHAM Founder. “Their integration of esports and lifestyle content is a perfect fit for WHAM. The EBL represents a truly fresh and different perspective on franchise esports competition.”Esports Insider says: So we’re still none the wiser as to which games will form a part of the inaugural Esports Battle League. But even so the league has managed to secure an interesting sounding partnership with the WHAM Network. We’re certainly intrigued to find out which ‘popular genre spanning titles’ are chosen, and we assume we’ll be in the know sooner rather than later.last_img read more

Federal Court of Appeal decision on Trans Mountain coming next week

first_imgVANCOUVER – The Federal Court of Appeal is scheduled to release its decision next week in a case that combined nearly two dozen lawsuits calling for the National Energy Board’s review of the Trans Mountain pipeline to be overturned.The board, Trans Mountain and the federal government defended the project as viable during two weeks of hearings in Vancouver last fall.First Nations, including the Tsleil-Waututh, argued the federal government did not adequately consult them, although federal lawyers told the hearings extensive consultations were conducted.Environmental groups and the cities of Vancouver and Burnaby also challenged the project and were supported by the province of British Columbia, which was an intervener in the case.Alberta was also an intervener and a lawyer for the province said Ottawa’s decision to approve the expansion of the pipeline between Edmonton and Metro Vancouver was based on a broad base of evidence that considered environmental, economic and Indigenous interests.The federal government announced in May that it was buying the Trans Mountain pipeline for $4.5 billion to ensure what it calls a vital piece of infrastructure is built.The Federal Court of Appeal tweeted Friday that the decision would be released next Thursday on its website.last_img read more