Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Print Twitter Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash NewsLimerick man caught with bag of drugs outside hospitalBy Staff Reporter – November 5, 2016 1514 WhatsApp WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Facebook Advertisement Previous articleIce cream vans used as cover for Limerick drug dealerNext articleRugby – Ulster Bank League Weekend Previews Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Linkedin Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR The evidence was heard at Limerick Circuit CourtA MAN who was caught outside a hospital emergency department with more than a kilo of cannabis herb is to be sentenced next month.Padraig O’Connor (37), from St Joseph’s Park, Dromcollogher, pleaded guilty in October to drugs offences contrary to Section 15a of the Misuse of Drugs Act.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up During a sentence hearing at Limerick Circuit Court last week, Judge Tom O’Donnell heard that drug squad detectives saw the father-of-one acting suspiciously outside the hospital on April 29, 2014They stopped and questioned him but he ran off, only to be apprehended after a short chase.A polkadot Lidl shopping shopping bag he was carrying contained more than 1.1kg of cannabis with an estimated street value in excess of €20,000.Prosecution Counsel John O’Sullivan said O’Connor admitted he went to McDonalds in Dooradoyle and “met individuals who he picked up some weed from”.He told gardai that he “got a phone call earlier while he was in the city centre and was instructed to go to the hospital and stop outside McDonalds along the way.Two months earlier, he met the same individuals in Newcastle West when his friend wanted a smoke of weed. Other than that, he had nothing to do with.On a previous occasion he “got some weed, paid €400 for it and did nothing else only gave it to three or four of his friends”, Mr O’Sullivan said.Mr O’Connell told gardai that he subsequently bought the larger batch of drugs for €3,000 and intended keeping some before giving it back.Defence counsel Anthony Samon asked Judge O’Donnell to sanction a probation service report so as to allow a number of factors to be considered by the court.The case was adjourned until to December O’Connell was released on his own bail. Email TAGSdrugshospitallimerick
iStock/Thinkstock(VAN BUREN, Arkansas) — Police in Van Buren, Arkansas are still scratching their heads over one of the most unusual arrests they said they have made in years.On Thursday night, police received a call from an 18-year-old reporting underage drinking in his home – by him.“Basically he, I guess, was intoxicated and called our office and said he was underage and drinking and he wanted to go to jail,” Van Buren Police Department Sergeant Jonathan Wear told ABC News in a telephone interview.“At first the [responding] officers were a little confused,” he said. “They went to make contact and when they went to the house this guy — he actually came out of the apartment with his hands up. At that time, the officers didn’t know it was him who called – they thought it was a neighbor. The officers asked what was going on and he admitted to calling.”“The officers wanted to give him a chance so they said, you know, ‘Look, just stay in your apartment and don’t drink, and you can go back into your house,’ but I guess he wasn’t good with that,” Wear explained. “They actually gave him a chance to go back inside and sober up. But he refused. He said, ‘I really need to go to jail.’” Wear said the young man told officers he had been drinking after having a bad day.He said that Van Buren police officers still can’t figure out what prompted the young man to self-confess and turn himself in.“There’s a little bit of a buzz around here,” Wear said. “The officers at the police department are talking about it because it’s just so unusual.” “He was not very high,” Wear said.“It wasn’t like he was just wasted or anything. He was not bad at all. The officers told him that ‘in your house [underage drinking is] not an issue. But with him refusing to go back in, the officers couldn’t leave him wandering around outside, so they arrested him and took him in.”The young man was charged with public intoxication, but the mystery behind his self-confession remains.On the ride to the station, “there wasn’t any real conversation,” Wear said.By Arkansas state law, individuals arrested for public intoxication must remain locked up for at least six hours.Wear said the young man was locked up for six hours and then released on a “small” bond.“It was a very strange arrest.”Wear declined to provide the teenager’s name.“We are not releasing his name,” the sergeant said. “We don’t want to cause him too much trouble.” Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
20 Views no discussions Tweet Share Sharing is caring! Share LocalNews Cuban Ambassador accuses US ruling to impose probationary sentence on one Cuban Five member as “double-standard” by: – October 11, 2011 Share Her Excellency Elaina Ramous Rodriguez Cuban Ambassador Her Excellency Elaina Ramous Rodriguez is describing as “injustice” a decision by a United States judge to have one of the Cuban five prisoners serve a three year probation in the United States-even after he was released from prison.Rene’ Gonzales-an airplane pilot imprisoned for 13 years for spying on anti-Castro groups in Miami, was freed on Friday but a US Judge has ruled that Gonzalez- a dual US-Cuban-citizen must serve three years of probation in the United States.“On September 16, South Florida District Judge Joan A. Lenard denied a motion submitted by René on February 16, 2011 requesting that he be allowed to return to Cuba and be reunited with his wife, daughters and parents. He has been unjustly obliged to remain in the United States for three years of probation,” she said in an interview with a local radio station.According to her, this decision, after 13 years of incarceration, constitutes a deliberate additional penalty, motivated by the same desires for political revenge which characterized the original judicial procedures which led to the conviction of the Five in 2001. “Standing behind this decision is the United States government which for years has supported terrorism against Cuba, protecting organizations and individuals – within its territory – responsible for the deaths, pain and suffering of thousands of Cubans. The judge’s response to René’s motion is in no way justified and makes no sense. It is presumed that he must remain in the United States where clearly his life will be endangered, and where the most prominent anti-Cuban terrorist individuals and organizations are located,” she added.Her Excellency Ramos further states that although it is impossible to undo the injustice after so many years of unwarranted imprisonment and political attacks, the only minimally decorous action the government of the United States could take at this point would be to grant René permission to immediately return to Cuba, to put an end to the vengeful sentences imposed on Gerardo, Ramón, Antonio and Fernando, and to allow the return of all Five to their homeland. “The cause of the Cuban Five is known throughout the entire world. There is a wealth of information, argumentation and legal evidence which demonstrates the arbitrary nature of the proceedings which led to their convictions and sentencing. Also widely recognized is the especially abusive treatment in prison these innocent men have received: extended periods of time in solitary confinement, lack of communication, psychological torture, unjustified family separation, limited contact with legal representatives and the denial of visits by mothers, wives and daughters,” he said.Adding that the people of Cuba deeply appreciate all the people and groups who have added their voices to the demand that this injustice end, state leaders and government officials, as well as renowned figures who have publicly or privately advocated for the freedom of the Five.Dominica Vibes News