1 August 2007Just days after completing a very successful first outing in the Tour de France, which saw the team capture the King of the Mountains title through Mauricio Soler, and finish second in the points standings through Robbie Hunter, South Africa’s Team Barloworld has been rocked by the death of Ryan Cox.A two-time South African National Road Championship champion, Cox missed out on selection for the Tour de France because he needed to undergo a vascular lesion operation in France to straighten an artery in his left leg that had become knotted.According to Robbie Hunter, Cox would have been in the race had it not been for the surgery he required. It was expensive, but Hunter lent Cox the money for the operation.ComplicationsIt appeared that the surgery performed by a leading doctor who had carried out the operation on about 600 cyclists, was a success, but complications set in.On Monday, Cox’s condition deteriorated rapidly. He suffered cardiac arrest and was rushed to hospital that evening.At the hospital, his heart stopped on a number of occasions. Doctors, though, managed to keep him alive by using adrenalin injections before performing emergency surgery on the artery, which had ruptured.Despite their efforts Cox’s condition continued to worsen. His organs began to fail and he wasn’t expected to make it through Tuesday.Finally, on Wednesday morning at 5:15, he passed away. He was 28 years of age.Organs affectedAccording to a friend, the artery had been leaking for some time. The blood had seeped throughout most of his body, which affected his organs. The damage proved too much to overcome.Sadly, after his operation in France, it appeared that everything was on track for Cox to make a successful return to cycling, but that was not to be.Writing on his website (which is no longer available) on 16 July, he said: “It has only been 12 days since I went under the knife to solve my probs. Since then I have returned home and (I’m) recovering well. The swelling has really gone down nicely now and (I) am able to move around a bit quicker than last week.“I’m taking things nice and slowly and being home around my family and friends is exactly what I need. I can start some jogging or swimming in about 19 days. Obviously this is the plan from the surgeon who operated on me. I’m not going to push myself and will be working very closely with him through my recovery.”Shocked and stunnedTeam Barloworld was shocked and stunned by Cox’s passing. In a press release, it said: “Team Barloworld extends its sincere condolences to the Cox family. The South African and European cycling industry is devastated by his death.”Barloworld was set to host a press conference on Wednesday to welcome Robbie Hunter back to South Africa after his fantastic performances in the Tour de France. Instead, after the shocking death of Cox, the team cancelled the celebration.Barloworld’s highly-respected team manager, Claudio Corti, said: “Ryan was an extremely talented rider who excelled in the international cycling arena. He has represented his country with great skill and pride, and has always been looked upon as a great ambassador for South African cycling.”Professional careerAfter turning professional in 2001, Cox recorded seven wins. He joined Team Barloworld in 2003.He represented South Africa in the Olympics and the Commonwealth Games, but the highlight of his career came in 2005 when he finished top of the overall classification in the Tour de Langkawi in Malaysia. It was, at the time, proclaimed as South African cycling’s biggest ever result.Not only did Cox take the overall title, but he was also crowned King of the Mountains and led Team Barloworld to the team title.With apologies to Robbie Hunter, it could be argued that Ryan Cox was the first man truly to put South Africa on the global cycling map. Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo material
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Wild carrot, Oxeye daisy, and wild mustard will no longer be prohibited noxious weeds in Ohio if the Ohio Department of Agriculture’s (ODA) revisions to the noxious weeds list become effective. ODA is proposing to remove the three plants after its five-year review of plant species considered “noxious” for purposes of Ohio law. The agency is also proposing adding these 12 species to the noxious weeds list:• Yellow Groove Bamboo (Phyllostachys aureasculata), when the plant has spread from its original premise of planting and is not being maintained• Field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis)• Heart-podded hoary cress (Lepidium draba sub. draba). Hairy whitetop or ballcress (Lepidium appelianum)• Perennial sowthistle (Sonchus arvensis)• Russian knapweed (Acroptilon repens)• Leafy spurge (Euphorbia esula)• Hedge bindweed (Calystegia sepium)• Serrated tussock (Nassella trichotoma)• Columbus grass (Sorghum x almum)• Musk thistle (Carduus nutans)• Forage Kochia (Bassia prostrata)• Water Hemp (Amaranthus tuberculatus).The director of ODA has the legal authority to designate noxious weeds. Several Ohio laws provide for control and removal of designated noxious weeds along public highways, toll roads, and railroads, and on private property. The current noxious weeds list also contains the following plants, which will remain on the list:• Grapevines: (Vitis spp.), when growing in groups of one hundred or more and not pruned, sprayed, cultivated, or otherwise maintained for two consecutive years.• Canada thistle (Cirsium arvense L. (Scop.))• Poison hemlock (Conium maculatum)• Cressleaf groundsel (Senecio glabellus)• Musk thistle (Carduus nutans)• Purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria)• Mile-A-Minute Weed (Polygonum perfoliatum)• Giant Hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum)• Apple of Peru (Nicandra physalodes)• Marestail (Conyza canadensis)• Kochia (Bassia scoparia)• Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri)• Kudzu (Pueraria montana var. lobata)• Japanese knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum).ODA is requesting public comments on the revised list of noxious weeds through April 27, 2018. Email comments to [email protected] or mail them to Legal Section, Ohio Department of Agriculture, 8995 E. Main St., Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068.
National Preparedness Month, observed each September, encourages Americans to take steps to prepare for and respond to emergencies, including natural disasters. Emergencies can happen in your home, school, business, and community at any given moment.After the terror attacks on September 11th, the federal government renewed interest in disaster preparedness, mandating all state and local governments to create a disaster response plan. To help execute this plan, Cooperative Extension has positioned their system to assist with community disaster preparedness and response efforts by offering several disaster-related educational programs that are available through Extension Disaster Education Network (EDEN).These resources can be found on their website, https://eden.lsu.edu, and also on their YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/EDENvideos
The semifinal loss to India in the World Cup continues to rankle Pakistan’s ODI captain Shahid Afridi who said it was a mistake to position himself in the lower-half of the batting order in the high-voltage game.”I am not a born captain and I also make mistakes. I made mistakes in the World Cup particularly in the semifinal at Mohali. I should have gone up the order like Mahendra Singh Dhoni did against Sri Lanka in the final at Mumbai,” Afridi said on a show on Geo News.The flamboyant all-rounder said with Abdul Razzaq also available down the order, he should have taken a chance and promoted himself in the semifinal against India.”The move by Dhoni in the final to come up himself worked and it could have also worked for us but we all make mistakes it was my mistake,” he said.He pointed out that India had one of the strongest and best batting line-ups in the world and when Pakistan bowled them out for 260, there was total silence at the innings break in the stadium.”Once we held them down to 260, I knew we had a strong chance of winning the match. Unfortunatly, we didn’t bat well and the moment Umar Akmal got out, I had a bad feeling it was not going our way,” he said.”I am learning every day as captain because it is a big learning process.”Afridi refused to to comment on Indo-Pak relations but reiterated that there were some elements in the Indian media who were negative about the ties.advertisement”About that I am convinced there are negative elements.And if both countries want to move forward this mindset has to change.”I am not against India or Indian people or Hindus. They are Hindus living in Pakistan just like Muslims in India and since this is a very sensitive issue I have decided that from now on I will not speak on it,” Afridi said.Afridi also said he never expected to end up as the joint highest wicket-taker in the World Cup.”I didn’t go into the tournament thinking I will take 21 wickets. It is a big honor for me and I am happy that I contributed to the team’s cause.”Afridi and Zaheer Khan finished with 21 wickets apiece in the World Cup.Afridi insisted he had no immediate plans to retire from international cricket.”While the 2015 World Cup is still a long way away I am presently looking at the Twenty20 World Cup that will be held next year. I will continue to play and captain the side as long as I am performing and as long as the board and people can tolerate and accept me,” he added.He said while he was in favour of rebuilding the team after the World Cup but, radicial changes should be avoided.”First of all this assumption that seniors have been dropped for the West Indies tour is not correct. They have been rested as the selectors and management want to try out some new players. I am for change but not in a haphazard manner and we can’t just dump our senior players who have given so much to Pakistan cricket.”The Pakistan captain also insisted that he was grateful to some former players and seniors such as Younus Khan, Kamran Akmal and Misbah-ul-Haq who had supported him.”The main target I and Vicky bhai (Waqar Younis) had was to ensure a clean and good dressing room atmosphere in the World Cup and to get the team to gel together and I think we succeeded in doing that,” he said.
India take on Sri Lanka in Leeds on Saturday in their final group-stage match. India will be hoping to collect 2 points and keep their chances of topping the table alive. Australia, with 14 points from 8 matches, are a point ahead of 2nd-placed India on the 10-team table. On the other hand, Sri Lanka are already out of contention for the last-4 and will be hoping to bow out on a high with a win against their neighbours.The last time these two teams met in a World Cup was 8 years ago during that fateful final of the 2011 edition. While every Indian cricket fan remembers the iconic image of MS Dhoni finishing the game with a six, the match itself is one of the most memorable finals in World Cup history.But when Sri Lanka won the toss and opted to bat first at Wankhede, the onus was upon India to deal with the pressure of chasing in such a high stakes game. Memories of India buckling under similar pressure during the 2003 World Cup final were still fresh in the minds of the country’s cricket followers. But MS Dhoni and his men had other ideas.Riding on a magnificent unbeaten 103 from Mahela Jayawardene, Sri Lanka posted a formidable total of 274/6 at the end of 50 overs. Their total was boosted by some lusty lower order hitting from Chamara Kapugedera and Thisara Perera who scored a quickfire 22 from just 9 deliveries.In reply, India were rocked by Lasith Malinga on just the 2nd ball of their innings when he removed Virender Sehwag for a duck. And when Malinga got Sachin Tendulkar caught behind the wickets in the 7th over with India’s score a mere 31 runs, memories of 2003 started to bother the country’s fans. But that’s when current captain Virat Kohli joined his Delhi senior Gautam Gambhir at the crease.advertisementThe duo took India past the 100-run mark while also keeping up with the required run-rate. Though Kohli soon got out after a well-made 35 at India’s score of 114. The dismissal prompted arguably one of the most famous batting reshuffles in World Cup history as then-skipper MS Dhoni promoted himself up the order and joined Gambhir to take India’s chase forward.Dhoni initially played the role of an anchor, rotating strike well and milking ones and twos while Gambhir played with aggression, never letting Sri Lanka come on top. Their 109-run partnership pulled India out of trouble and on-course of their 2nd World Cup title. Just when Gambhir looked well set for a deserved century, he was bowled by Perera while trying to charge out of the crease and hit a boundary.But Yuvraj Singh and Dhoni ensured that there were no more hiccups as they continued India’s march towards the 275-run target. The Wankhede came to a standstill on the 2nd ball of the 49th over when with 4 runs needed for a win, Dhoni’s eyes lit up as he saw Nuwan Kulasekara bowl a delivery in the slot and with a swing of his arms, he launched the ball into the stands behind long-on sending the crowd into a frenzy. His teammates ran from the pavilion to mob him and Yuvraj as days-long celebrations started in Mumbai and across the country.Also Read | World Cup 2019 semi-finalists: Australia, India, England, New ZealandAlso Read | India vs Sri Lanka World Cup 2019: Ravindra Jadeja likely to play at Leeds
Story Highlights Some $160 million has been allocated to upgrade Main Street, in Ocho Rios, St. Ann, as part of the multimillion-dollar redevelopment project being undertaken by the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) in the resort town.The project, which is being funded through the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF), will see 400 metres of roadway being rehabilitated over eight months.Minister of Labour and Social Security, Hon. Shahine Robinson, who is also Member of Parliament for the area, welcomed the move by the UDC and encouraged the stakeholders to work together.Addressing a stakeholders’ meeting at the St. John’s Anglican Church Hall in Ocho Rios on September 14, the Minister said there is much work to be done, “as we continue to strive to make Ocho Rios the place that it ought to be”.The project, which is being managed by the National Works Agency (NWA), has been dubbed, ‘Turtle Walk’, and will be undertaken from Turtle River Road to the Ocho Rios Shopping Centre.According to Regional Manager for the NWA, Mr. Devon Lilly, Chin’s Construction has been awarded to carry out the roadworks, and efforts will be made to ensure that minimal disruption is caused to motorists and pedestrians.In addition to upgrading of the roadway, work will be done on the drains and on the sidewalks.For his part, Mr. Joseph Lewis, who represented the UDC, outlined that a series of projects have been ongoing as part of the Ocho Rios redevelopment project.“The improvements that we were hoping for, even in terms of the flow of traffic, the Port Authority of Jamaica is realising that benefit now,” he said.So far, the terminal building at the cruise ship pier, as well as the Turtle River Road, have been upgraded, and the parking lot has been reordered. A promenade is currently being built along the beach to the Ocho Rios cruise terminal. Some $160 million has been allocated to upgrade Main Street, in Ocho Rios, St. Ann, as part of the multimillion-dollar redevelopment project being undertaken by the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) in the resort town. dressing a stakeholders’ meeting at the St. John’s Anglican Church Hall in Ocho Rios on September 14, the Minister said there is much work to be done, “as we continue to strive to make Ocho Rios the place that it ought to be”.
Sporting director Michael Zorc is adamant that Jadon Sancho will be at Borussia Dortmund next year, despite the growing interest from rival clubsThe 18-year-old winger’s stunning rise to stardom since completing an £8m transfer from Manchester City to Dortmund in 2017 has earned him plenty of suitors.Sancho is a regular member of the BVB squad leading the Bundesliga this season and his exploits in Germany saw him being handed a call-up to the England national team.But Dortmund, who have an unfortunate history for selling their star players to rivals, have no intention of letting Sancho go right now.“Jadon knew it would be an unusual step to move here but it has been totally the right one. Courageous, too,” Zorc told ESPN.Crouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“He’s an outstanding talent and a big part of our future. We are convinced that we are the best option for him to keep developing.“He’s not finished yet. Not by a long stretch. And he will certainly play with us next year, come what may.”Sancho has managed seven goals and 10 assists in 24 appearances across all competitions this season for Dortmund.The teenage star is contracted at Signal Iduna Park until June 2022.
KPBSD Superintendent Sean Dusek announced that the school district was awarded a grant from the Alaska Community Foundation, in order to reinstate the Petroleum Academy program. Dusek: “Our students are able to earn industry level certifications, those types of things that are very pertinent to kids working in those particularly industries.” Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Kenai Peninsula Students will once again have the opportunity to earn industry certifications in Kenai, from the Alaska Petroleum Academy. Dusek: “We talk a lot about our academic achievement, but we do focus quiet a bit on career and technical education.” Certifications offered include: 16 Hour Petroleum Health & Safety, 24 Hour CITS Certification, 40 Hour Hazwoper Certification, Confined Space Entry Certification, and numerous other courses. Classes are be held at the Workforce Development building on the Kenai Spur Highway. For information and class scheduling call 907-953-2255 or send an email to [email protected] Story as aired: Audio PlayerJennifer-on-Petro-Academy-Grant.mp3VmJennifer-on-Petro-Academy-Grant.mp300:00RPd