Reporters Without Borders calls for immediate release of Maka Gbossokotto

first_img Receive email alerts News Central African RepublicAfrica RSF_en The state prosecutor attached to the Bangui appeals court, Sylvain N’Zas, accused the independent media on 9 July of making “offensive statements” about the country’s leaders and threatened to apply “the full force the law.” April 6, 2021 Find out more News Organisation News News Help by sharing this information May 13, 2020 Find out more Reporters Without Borders called today for the immediate release of Central African Republic newspaper editor Maka Gbossokotto, who appeared in court on 16 July accused of libelling a former state official. The prosecution has demanded a year-long prison sentence and a fine.The arrest and trial of Gbossokotto, who edits the independent daily Le Citoyen and is also the worldwide press freedom organisation’s local correspondent, showed that the promise to decriminalise press offences made when the present government took power in March 2003 was “very far from being fulfilled,” Reporters Without Borders said. It called for the charges against him of libel and “public insults” to be dropped. “The prosecutor’s call for harsh punishment is totally against press freedom and makes the government of President François Bozizé one of the most repressive regimes in Africa towards the media,” it said.”It is quite unacceptable that this journalist, arrested on 8 July, should be held in custody for a month until the court announces its verdict on 9 August, when he might be released. Only his immediate release and the dropping of all charges against him can put an end to this scandalous matter.”Gbossokotto is being sued by Jean-Serge Wafio, the former head of the state electricity company Enerca, for writing that he had stolen company funds. Wafio was sacked by Bozizé last month for bad management.Judge Trinité M’Bango-Sangafio refused to release the journalist on bail when he appeared before him in Bamako on 16 July. Gbossokotto’s lawyers, including Nicolas Tiangaye, head of the country’s provisional parliament, the National Transition Council (CNT), called for his release and said the case was technically flawed. RSF decries arbitrary blocking of two CAR news websites Follow the news on Central African Republic July 19, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reporters Without Borders calls for immediate release of Maka Gbossokotto Reporters Without Borders called today for the immediate release of Central African Republic newspaper editor Maka Gbossokotto, who appeared in court on 16 July accused of libelling a former state official. The prosecution has demanded a year-long prison sentence and a fine. to go further December 13, 2019 Find out more A hundred or so people attended the trial and a large crowd also gathered outside the court building. Gbossokotto was arrested on 8 July and then formally charged and jailed on 12 July amid many protests, including by the country’s association of privately-owned and independent media editors, Geppic, which immediately suspended publication of all their titles when he was jailed.Communications minister Lt. Col. Parfait Mbay threatened the independent media on 7 July in two official statements. The first condemned “recent serious excesses by independent newspapers, some of which are being used by certain Central African citizens to misinform and manipulate people and discredit top government officials and other citizens.” Editors should “tell the truth, and nothing but the truth, while remembering that not every truth should be told.” In the second statement, he threatened the same editors that he would close their newspapers if they did not comply by 15 July with press law rules for permission to publish. Six years on, same unanswered questions about French journalist’s death in CAR Central African RepublicAfrica CAR policeman who shot reporter must be punished, RSF sayslast_img read more

Judge describes drug issues as worrying

first_imgTwitter Facebook NewsLocal NewsJudge describes drug issues as worryingBy admin – April 20, 2009 409 Previous articleViewers voted Celia most stylish woman on TVNext articleExperience the ancient art of Threading admin Print Linkedincenter_img Email A LIMERICK District Court Judge has described as “worrying” the increase in instances where members of the public attempt to pass drugs to prisoners while in custody in Limerick Prison. Judge Tom O’Donnell’s comments came as a 27-year-old woman appeared before a sitting of Limerick District Court charged with bringing a controlled substance into Limerick Prison contrary to Sec 15(c) of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1977.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The county Limerick woman appeared before Judge O’Donnell where the court was told that the accused allegedly attempted to pass 55 tablets to a prisoner during a visit.The arresting officer, Garda Colleran, told the court of prison officers apprehending the woman as she attempted to orally pass the tablets to a prisoner.Defence solicitor, Sarah Ryan, addressed the court following hearing details of the incident and noted that the drug in question was prescribed to the woman for pain relief following a very bad car accident in which she suffered injuries to her back.Judge O’Donnell noted that these types of offences are on the increase and worryingly, many go undetected and are very serious.“I must congratulate and praise the work of the prison officers and the gardai in this incident as these types of crimes are on a very serious rise.“I’ve noted at least three or four of these in the early parts of this year and its something that could get out of hand very easily.“I must also say that the doctor in question would be very disappointed to know that a patient of theirs would be obtaining tablets, pain killers in this instance, and keeping them to pass on to others.“These are disturbing times for such crimes but I do take into account the early plea and the co-operation offered by the accused. I also note the seriousness of the mitigating factors for the defendant”.Marking the facts of the case proven, Judge O’Donnell issued that a probation report be submitted to the court and subsequent to that, issued bail terms of 100 euro to the accused.The court will hear the findings of the report on June 11. WhatsApp Advertisementlast_img read more

Limerick man caught with bag of drugs outside hospital

first_imgLimerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Print Twitter Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash NewsLimerick man caught with bag of drugs outside hospitalBy Staff Reporter – November 5, 2016 1514 WhatsApp WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Facebookcenter_img Advertisement Previous articleIce cream vans used as cover for Limerick drug dealerNext articleRugby – Ulster Bank League Weekend Previews Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Linkedin Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR The evidence was heard at Limerick Circuit CourtA MAN who was caught outside a hospital emergency department with more than a kilo of cannabis herb is to be sentenced next month.Padraig O’Connor (37), from St Joseph’s Park, Dromcollogher, pleaded guilty in October to drugs offences contrary to Section 15a of the Misuse of Drugs Act.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up During a sentence hearing at Limerick Circuit Court last week, Judge Tom O’Donnell heard that drug squad detectives saw the father-of-one acting suspiciously outside the hospital on April 29, 2014They stopped and questioned him but he ran off, only to be apprehended after a short chase.A polkadot Lidl shopping shopping bag he was carrying contained more than 1.1kg of cannabis with an estimated street value in excess of €20,000.Prosecution Counsel John O’Sullivan said O’Connor admitted he went to McDonalds in Dooradoyle and “met individuals who he picked up some weed from”.He told gardai that he “got a phone call earlier while he was in the city centre and was instructed to go to the hospital and stop outside McDonalds along the way.Two months earlier, he met the same individuals in Newcastle West when his friend wanted a smoke of weed. Other than that, he had nothing to do with.On a previous occasion he “got some weed, paid €400 for it and did nothing else only gave it to three or four of his friends”, Mr O’Sullivan said.Mr O’Connell told gardai that he subsequently bought the larger batch of drugs for €3,000 and intended keeping some before giving it back.Defence counsel Anthony Samon asked Judge O’Donnell to sanction a probation service report so as to allow a number of factors to be considered by the court.The case was adjourned until to December O’Connell was released on his own bail. Email TAGSdrugshospitallimerick last_img read more