News Organisation Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns Morocco’s expulsion of two Spanish journalists, José Luis Navazo and Fernando Sanz, who in recent weeks had been covering the protests in Al-Hoceïma, in the northern Rif region. June 8, 2021 Find out more Morocco / Western SaharaMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting journalistsOnline freedoms Judicial harassmentPredatorsFreedom of expression The editor of the Correo Diplomático online newsletter, Navazo has lived in Morocco for the past 17 years with his wife of Moroccan origin and his two children, while Sanz is a freelancer who had been finishing a report about the protests. Police arrested them in Tétouan on 25 July, seizing their equipment and material, and expelled them without any explanation three hours later across the nearby land border with Ceuta, a Spanish enclave on the north Moroccan coast. “I am stunned by what has happened,” Navazo told RSF. “Morocco is the country I love and I have left my wife and children there. Nonetheless, I did my job in a professional and honest manner and checked all my information with different sources.” RSF Spain secretary-general Rosa Meneses said: “We call on the Moroccan authorities to allow José Luis Navazo to rejoin his family in Tétouan. We also ask the Spanish government to intercede on behalf of this journalist.” In a statement for the weekly Tel Quel, Moroccan culture and communication minister Mohamed Lâaraj claimed that Navazo and Sanz, “identified themselves as tourists, not journalists, and tried to film although they had no permit for filming.” “There can be no justification for expelling journalists in such a summary manner, without giving them time to explain themselves or take the necessary steps,” said Yasmine Kacha, the head of RSF’s North Africa desk. “This latest sign of hostility on the part of the authorities is part of a broader policy aimed at restricting the work of both Moroccan and foreign journalists trying to cover events in the Rif, a region that is in growing danger of becoming a no-go area for independent media.” Navazo and Sanz were expelled on the same day that Moroccan journalist Hamid El Mahdaoui was sentenced to three months in prison on a charge of “inviting” people to participate in a banned demonstration in Al-Hoceïma, the epicentre of the protest movement in the Rif. RSF described his conviction as “unjust and summary” in apress release on 26 July, which reported that a total of seven citizen-journalists and media workers had been arrested in or near Al-Hoceïma in recent weeks. Morocco is ranked 133rd out of 180 countries inRSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say April 15, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Morocco / Western Sahara Receive email alerts News News Morocco / Western SaharaMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting journalistsOnline freedoms Judicial harassmentPredatorsFreedom of expression RSF_en July 28, 2017 Another Moroccan move to restrict coverage of Rif unrest April 28, 2021 Find out more News RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance Hunger strike is last resort for some imprisoned Moroccan journalists to go further
NewsIRA membership trial halted over alleged garda telephone recordingsBy Staff Reporter – March 26, 2014 1107 WhatsApp Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday Print Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Andrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up [email protected] Limerick men charged with the alleged membership of an illegal organisation, namely the IRA, have had their trial halted at the Special Criminal Court amid the latest development in the Garda phone recording saga. Following an application for disclosure made before the three judge non jury court, the trial of Thomas McMahon, 32, with an address at Ros Fearna, Murroe and Noel Noonan, 35, of North Claughaun Road, Garryowen was halted as evidence was due outlining that both are alleged members of the IRA, On February 7, 2013, both men were arrested in County Tipperary during an operation where Gardai were investigating dissident republicans.The legal teams for both accused men asked the court for disclosure from An Garda Siochana as to whether or not conversations their clients had with lawyers were recorded. Defence counsels, Isobel Kennedy SC and Anthony Sammon SC, outlined that the accused men had phone conversations with solicitors before garda interviews. Tara Burns SC, prosecution counsel for the State said that Gardai knew nothing, at the time, about what has since emerged. The matter was adjourned until later this week for clarification on whether or not recordings were made. Linkedin Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch Facebook Advertisement #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick TAGSdissident republicansIRAMusic LimerickSpecial Criminal Court Previous articleSpecialist garda unit needed to tackle gun crimeNext articleApology too late as Collins calls for Shatter to step down Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy Email New Music: 40Hurtz
The excitation of nightside whistler mode chorus emissions in the low-density region outside the plasmapause is investigated during an injection of plasma sheet electrons into the inner magnetosphere. CRRES data of the electron phase space density (PSD) over the LEPA energy range between 0.1 keV and 30 keV are used to develop an analytical model for the distribution function of injected low-energy electrons. The path-integrated growth of chorus waves is then evaluated with the HOTRAY code by tracing unducted whistler mode chorus waves in a hot magnetized plasma. The results indicate that newly injected electrons are responsible for the intensification of lower-band whistler mode chorus. However, slightly higher electron anisotropy than that obtained from the 5 min-averaged electron PSD data is required to reproduce the observed wave intensity during an injection event. We suggest that the injected electron anisotropy is reduced due to pitch angle scattering by the enhanced chorus waves within the 5-min interval over which the CRRES data are analyzed.
Read Full Story Two years after Boston schools prohibited the sale of sugar-sweetened beverages like sodas and sports drinks, local high school students were consuming significantly fewer sugary drinks, according to a new study published in Preventing Chronic Disease. In contrast, the average consumption of sugary beverages did not decline among teens nationwide. This is the first major study to show a significant decline in consumption of unhealthy beverages following a school policy change.Beginning in the 2004–05 school year, the Boston School Committee prohibited public schools in the city from selling soft drinks, fruit drinks and sports drinks anywhere in school buildings or on campus. Researchers tracked sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among students in grades 9–12 for two years and found a significant decrease—from 1.71 average servings per day in 2004 to 1.38 servings in 2006. This reduction, roughly 45 fewer calories per day, included students’ total daily consumption of such drinks, both during and outside of the school day. A serving was defined as one can or glass, with a 20-ounce bottle counting as two servings. (Click here to read the entire study.)“This study shows that a very simple policy change can have a big impact on student behavior,” said Angie Cradock, senior research scientist at the Harvard School of Public Health and the study’s lead author. “It also shows that when students couldn’t get these unhealthy beverages in school, they didn’t necessarily buy them elsewhere.”