Excommunication from the village or society was the preferred form of punishment for those who used the Right to Information in Meghalaya. Until youth leader Poipynhun Majaw was murder on Tuesday.The police in the State’s East Jaintia Hills district said unknown assailants killed Mr. Majaw by hitting him with a heavy iron object, possibly a wrench, found lying beside his body in Khliehriat, a coal mining hub. They are following a clue – a 125 cc motorcycle found abandoned nearby – to get to his killers.Rights activists in the State said that at least 20 people have been banished from their villages for using the RTI to expose corruption in local governance and utilisation of beneficiary schemes in less than a decade.“Many of those excommunicated are women who dared to go against corrupt local body heads and moved the RTI to find out rations allotted for them were being diverted or ghost workers were awarded MGNREGS (rural job guarantee scheme) work,” Agnes Kharshiing of the Civil Society Women’s Organisation said.On Wednesday, as the police began hunting for the bike owner, some villagers in the adjoining West Jaintia Hills told the authorities they were being hounded by local leaders after getting a reply to their RTI query on the status of MGNREGS in Sankhat, their village.“The RTI reply revealed that area leaders withdrew more money than what the MGNREGS assignment for 11 job card holders of our village could have entailed. We are under tremendous pressure to either take up the matter or leave,” a member of one of 32 households denied work said from Sankhat.Ostracised for using RTI In 2014, the dorbar (governing body) of Umsumbah village in the West Khasi Hills district deprived 11 people of their basic right of seeking information through RTI. The dorbar ‘blacklisted’ them and it needed the intervention of the Block Development Officer to come to a compromise. But the reprieve was temporary, as the ‘dorbar’ allegedly punished the villagers till December last year, cancelling their job cards, denying them access to fair price shops and residential certificates for their children.In 2011, three women – Fatima Mynsong, Acqueline Songthiang and Matilda Suting – were excommunicated by the ‘dorbar’ of Jongsha village, about 30 km from Shillong, after they exercised the RTI to know about utilisation of government funds for the village.The trio, however, fought back and managed to get the village headman, who ordered their exile, removed from his post.In February 2011, a student leader named Bobby Basaiawmoit was asked by the ‘dorbar’ of Mairangbah village to either pay a fine of ₹5,000 for exercising RTI or be banished.“Mr. Majaw’s was the first case of murder of an RTI activist in Meghalaya, where violence was not associated with activism unlike other States such as Assam,” Ms. Kharshiing said.Rights activists believe that Mr. Majaw was killed because of using RTI to expose the unholy nexus between the Jaintia Hills tribal council and cement companies who have been extracting limestone with scant respect for the fragile ecology of the State.“We are yet to find the motive behind Mr. Majaw’s murder, but we hope to get some answers once we find the owner of the bike. The suspected murder weapon has been sent for forensic tests while the autopsy report is expected within a week,” Nazarius Lamare, Superintendent of Police of East Jaintia Hills district, said.
Sotto hopes that he can get a chance to attend more of these Gilas practices, granting that he’s free from his school assignments and obligations with the Ateneo Blue Eaglets.“I can join here if we don’t have an exam or we don’t have a game the following day. I’m just really happy and excited to attend these sessions,” he said. Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Kai Sotto. PBA IMAGESKai Sotto, pegged as the future of Gilas Pilipinas, is just humbled by the opportunity given to him by coach Chot Reyes to train with the national team.But the 7-foot center doesn’t want to feel pressured after being touted as one of the cornerstones for the 2023 Fiba World Cup.ADVERTISEMENT Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Zark’s-Lyceum gets act together, staves off Akari-Adamson Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Read Next View comments 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting “I just want to focus on what I’m doing. I don’t want to think about the pressure,” said Sotto on Monday after attending his first Gilas Pilipinas practice as a “23-for-23” cadet.The 15-year-old Sotto had his first chance to bang bodies with his contemporaries as he went to scrimmage with the likes of June Mar Fajardo, Japeth Aguilar, and Calvin Abueva.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutAnd it didn’t take long for him to learn his first lessons from the current Gilas pool members.“If you’re playing basketball everyday, you’ll know what’s happening on the court. I think all of us players can learn here. I try to reach out to the seniors because I want to learn from them,” he said. Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH MOST READ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa LATEST STORIES NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers
Serie A Maradona-equalling Hamsik earns Sarri praise as Napoli go top of Serie A Rob Lancaster 07:47 12/17/17 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Getty Images Serie A Napoli Torino v Napoli Torino The Napoli captain found the target against Torino – his 115th for the club in all competitions – and was described as “extraordinary” by his coach Hamsik fired home his side’s third and final goal in the 3-1 win at Torino, with his 115th strike for the club in all competitions drawing him level at the top of the charts.The Slovakia international had been stuck one shy of the legendary Maradona’s mark since netting in his side’s 3-0 triumph over Cagliari on October 1, with his barren run finally coming to an end at the Stadio Olimpico on Saturday.”We are talking about a player of an extraordinary level,” Sarri told Mediaset Premium . Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player “If someone like him plays 45 games of an inferior level, you just have to accept it and stick by him with the certainty he’ll pay you back eventually. He’d been improving for the past few matches.”Maurizio Sarri admitted he stuck by “extraordinary” Marek Hamsik during his dry spell after Napoli’s club captain finally equalled Diego Maradona’s all-time goalscoring record.As well as Hamsik’s personal achievement, the positive result on the road lifted Napoli to the top of the Serie A table.They leapfrogged over Inter, who surprisingly lost 3-1 at home to Udinese, in the standings, with Sarri acknowledging that his players knew what was at stake prior to kick-off in Rome.”My players knew what Inter had done and these are situations that can either help or hinder,” he added.”They can give you the hunger to recapture the leadership, but can also pile extra pressure on. Today the lads did well to take the positive aspects from San Siro’s result.”Napoli are back in action on Tuesday, taking on Udinese in the Coppa Italia, before they round out the calendar year with league fixtures against Sampdoria and Crotone.
zoomImage Courtesy: Maersk World’s largest shipping company Maersk is reportedly targeting acquisitions on land to bolster its logistics operations as part of the group’s transformation from a conglomerate to an integrated global container logistics company.“The future will be very much about scaling the land side of the equation . . . We for sure have to do some acquisitions in the logistics space, primarily to gain capability and scale,” Søren Skou, Maersk’s Chief Executive Officer, is quoted by the Financial Times as saying.As reported, potential acquisition candidates are likely to include trucks, warehouses and other important segments of the supply chain management, but the company would refrain from making multi-billion deals and go after bolt-on acquisitions.The key reason behind taking a disciplined investment approach is in line with Maersk’s desire to reduce its debt at a time when operating costs, led by high bunker prices, exert high pressure on the company’s earnings.The remaking of Maersk Group is expected to last between three to five years. For the transformation to be completed, Maersk is yet to finalize the separation of its energy business, as structural solutions are still being sought for Maersk Supply Service.Namely, in November 2018, Vincent Clerc, Maersk’s Executive Vice President, said the group would not finalize the sale of its Maersk Supply Service business, which was expected to be completed by the end of the year.As part of its energy business separation drive, earlier this year Maersk announced its spin off of Maersk Drilling as a standalone company on Nasdaq Copenhagen in 2019.Furthermore, Maersk is in the middle of its integration process of the German liner company Hamburg Süd, which was acquired in November 2017.Danish shipping major said that since the integration is progressing faster than planned the company expects synergies from the merger to reach at least USD 500 million by 2019.World Maritime News Staff
MONTREAL — Quebec’s education minister has ordered an investigation of the province’s largest English-language school board after learning of serious allegations about the board’s governance.At a news conference in Quebec City, Jean-Francois Roberge said that soon after being named minister last fall, he was briefed on problems at the board dating back years.“These allegations are troubling and serious. We must take action,” Roberge said. “They relate primarily to the management of material and human resources and the working climate at the English Montreal School Board.”He said the board’s council of elected commissioners, which oversees a $280-million budget, is frequently “paralyzed” by internal conflicts.“Also, there have been irregularities in vocational training, particularly with regard to partnerships with organizations that are not recognized by the (Education Department) and that provide substandard instruction,” he said. “Of course this is unacceptable.”Roberge has asked the department’s investigation team to submit a preliminary report by June 3 and a final report by Sept. 10.The EMSB said in a statement that news of the investigation “has caught us completely by surprise. It said it had not been informed of any irregularities uncovered in reviews commissioned by the previous Liberal government. The most recent of the reviews was submitted in June 2017.“We have absolutely nothing to hide,” the board said, promising that department investigators “will have the full cooperation of the EMSB’s governance and management in the completion of their work.”The investigation comes as the future of Quebec’s school boards is in doubt. The Coalition Avenir Quebec government was elected in October on a promise to abolish the boards. Opposition to the move has been strongest among anglophones, who consider the elected boards vital to their community.Roberge said the good work accomplished at the EMSB cannot be tarnished “by actions and practices that are ethically unacceptable.”The Canadian Press
More than one in 10 (15%) of respondents state that their organisation currently has a return-to-work programme in place, according to research by Hays.Its Hays UK gender diversity report 2017, which surveyed 5,400 UK respondents, also found that 70% of respondents believe that there would be greater gender equality if more return-to-work programmes, or similar initiatives, were introduced.The research also found:32% of respondents feel that men who take shared parental leave may be seen as being less committed to their careers.31% of female respondents take on a part-time role when they return to work after starting a family, 28% of women remain in the same position at the same hours, 15% resign to look for more flexible work, and 6% decide to become self-employed.24% of male respondents are likely to be promoted after having children, compared to 10% of female respondents.79% of respondents who are fathers either retained their current role or moved in to a more senior position when returning from a career break after having children. This compares to 38% of female respondents who either stay in their current role or progress their careers after having children.76% of female respondents believe choosing to work flexibly will limit their career, compared to 65% of male respondents who think this.Yvonne Smyth (pictured), head of diversity at Hays UK and Ireland, said: “Our report highlights that [while] parents have the freedom to choose how they want to progress their career after starting a family, the majority of women who do choose to continue their career are less likely to be promoted or continue at the same level.“For those returning to work after a career break, employers should look to improve the transition process so they feel they have the opportunities to progress their careers, should they wish to. For example, our report found the majority agree that structured return-to-work programmes will help towards bridging the gender gap, and encourage more people back into work.“Encouraging equality when returning to work can start before parental leave begins by improving communication to make it more culturally acceptable for parents to split their leave, or take flexible working upon return, thereby helping both men and women.”
FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (WSVN) – The Florida Panthers brought some family fun to Downtown Fort Lauderdale, Sunday.The hockey team’s Winterfest Family Day put smiles on hundreds of faces at Huizenga Plaza on Las Olas Boulevard.Big slides and train rides delighted revelers, all for free, courtesy of the Panthers and Joe DiMaggio’s Children’s Hospital. Bringing the winter feeling to the kids of South Florida. ⛸❄️🤗 pic.twitter.com/Y8Ov7iUplO— Florida Panthers (@FlaPanthers) November 26, 2017And, of course, the annual event featured an ice skating rink.Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Photo: Wikimedia CommonsERCOT, which operates the power grid in Texas, reported a record for electricity use on July 18, 2018. The electricity is used, for example, to make air conditioned units run.Texas set an all-time record for electricity use Wednesday, according to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), the state’s power grid operator, which said the record was set in the afternoon, between 3 and 4 p.m.Power use peaked at 71,438 megawatts. The previous record was 71,110 megawatts and it was set in August of 2016.ERCOT says it fully expects Texas to continue setting records as the summer continues.Much of the state is experiencing triple digit temperatures this week. Share