161 cases of ‘paid news’ in M.P. polls

first_imgThe office of the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh has so far issued notices to 161 candidates who had allegedly paid for the publication of ‘favourable’ news in various media outlets in the run-up to the Assembly polls in Madhya Pradesh.“161 notifications have been issued by the Returning Officers to various candidates in suspected paid news cases in the State during the Vidhan Sabha election. Fifteen candidates have admitted to the news mentioned in the notifications issued by the Returning Officer being paid news and accepted the addition of the amount to their election expenditure,” said Joint Chief Electoral Officer Rajesh Kaul.Poll expenditure Mr. Kaul said the district-level media certification and monitoring committees have recommended that the paid news amount be added to the candidate’s election expenditure in as many as 146 cases so far.Six appeals against recommendations made by the district-level committees of Ujjain and Betul had been received by the State-level committee, a poll official said. The State committee upheld the recommendation of the district body after hearing the appeals.Regional publicationsA major chunk of complaints on paid news were against vernacular and regional media publications, the official added.Assembly elections were held in all 230 constituencies of the State on November 28, and the counting of votes will take place on December 11. The Congress is in a direct face-off with the BJP, which has been in power for the past 15 years.last_img read more

Tyler Tio makes up for lost time, debuts with a splash for Ateneo

first_imgTrump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Tio, despite his hot shooting, said he still needs to adjust to playing in the UAAP and it just so happened he had the stroke against the Fighting Maroons.“I won’t say I already grasp the UAAP but at that moment I was feeling good so I had the confidence to shoot,” said Tio.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side View comments Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo SEA Games medal-winning PH sepak takraw team treated to hearty lunch Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netAteneo guard Tyler Tio had to sit out Season 79 due to his citizenship, and when Season 80 started he had to wait once again as his bum ankle wouldn’t allow him to play.So when he finally got the chance to hit the floor on Wednesday, the Canadian-born guard released his pent-up frustrations.ADVERTISEMENT Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Tio was perfect from the field going 6-for-6 en route to 14 points in just 11 minutes as he helped Ateneo flatten University of the Philippines, 92-71, at Smart Araneta Coliseum.“I was excited to play but I wasn’t thinking that I had to score this amount of points, I just wanted to make sure that I played correctly,” said Tio, who had 10 points in the fourth quarter alone.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingThe 5-foot-11 guard wasn’t able to play in Season 79 as he couldn’t secure a Philippine passport in time and was considered as a foreigner.Ateneo had Nigerian Chibueze Ikeh in the roster and the UAAP allows just one foreigner per roster. Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim LATEST STORIES MOST READlast_img read more

SPORT-EURO-BELGIUM 2 LAST

first_imgBelgium broke quickly with Lukaku releasing De Bruyne Belgium broke quickly with Lukaku releasing De Bruyne wide on the right. The Manchester City playmaker worked the ball back into the middle for Lukaku, who took a touch before beating goalkeeper Darren Randolph with a neatly-placed shot into the bottom-left corner from 20 yards. Belgium lost Dembele to injury before doubling their lead just after the hour mark with a goal of stunning simplicity. Meunier collected a pass from Carrasco on the right and crossed for Witsel, who stole away from James McCarthy to head in from point-blank range, with Randolph only able to help the ball on its way in. Ireland were demoralised and Belgium picked them off on the counter to make it three with 70 minutes played. Again Meunier was involved, robbing James McClean near his own corner flag and finding Hazard. The Chelsea star flew down that same right flank and into the middle before squaring for Lukaku, who had an easy finish in front of the massed Belgian support. AFP KHS KHSlast_img read more

Main Street in Ocho Rios to be Rehabilitated

first_imgStory Highlights Some $160 million has been allocated to upgrade Main Street, in Ocho Rios, St. Ann, as part of the multimillion-dollar redevelopment project being undertaken by the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) in the resort town.The project, which is being funded through the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF), will see 400 metres of roadway being rehabilitated over eight months.Minister of Labour and Social Security, Hon. Shahine Robinson, who is also Member of Parliament for the area, welcomed the move by the UDC and encouraged the stakeholders to work together.Addressing a stakeholders’ meeting at the St. John’s Anglican Church Hall in Ocho Rios on September 14, the Minister said there is much work to be done, “as we continue to strive to make Ocho Rios the place that it ought to be”.The project, which is being managed by the National Works Agency (NWA), has been dubbed, ‘Turtle Walk’, and will be undertaken from Turtle River Road to the Ocho Rios Shopping Centre.According to Regional Manager for the NWA, Mr. Devon Lilly, Chin’s Construction has been awarded to carry out the roadworks, and efforts will be made to ensure that minimal disruption is caused to motorists and pedestrians.In addition to upgrading of the roadway, work will be done on the drains and on the sidewalks.For his part, Mr. Joseph Lewis, who represented the UDC, outlined that a series of projects have been ongoing as part of the Ocho Rios redevelopment project.“The improvements that we were hoping for, even in terms of the flow of traffic, the Port Authority of Jamaica is realising that benefit now,” he said.So far, the terminal building at the cruise ship pier, as well as the Turtle River Road, have been upgraded, and the parking lot has been reordered. A promenade is currently being built along the beach to the Ocho Rios cruise terminal. Some $160 million has been allocated to upgrade Main Street, in Ocho Rios, St. Ann, as part of the multimillion-dollar redevelopment project being undertaken by the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) in the resort town.center_img dressing a stakeholders’ meeting at the St. John’s Anglican Church Hall in Ocho Rios on September 14, the Minister said there is much work to be done, “as we continue to strive to make Ocho Rios the place that it ought to be”.last_img read more