Contractors are being sought to build 21 new residential homes in Buncrana following the issue of tender documents, it has emerged. The Donegal County Council seek to build the first council house estate in the Rockytown area for the first time in over a decade when Earlsfort in Cockhill was opened.Contractors have until August 30th to apply to build the new homes on the Inishowen site, with the new tender obliged to complete the project within 65 weeks from the contracts starting date. It is understood that out of the 21 dwellings, 11 of those will be three-bedroom/five-person homes, two four-bedroom/seven-person homes and eight two bedrooms/three-person apartments.Concerns have previously been raised over the sites potential flooding risk, but a council planner through a council planning report said fears over potential flooding to the development was ‘low’.However, that report was published in 2015, two years shy of the flash flooding that hit the peninsula in 2017.There were also concerns raised over the presence of Japanese Knotweed on the site, but engineers have since ordered the management and treatment of the damaging plant before any development gets underway. Inishowen Councillor Jack Murray, who was part of the council that passed the planning permission unanimously two years ago, said the development would help ease housing waiting list in the Inishowen town.Welcoming the news, he told Donegal Daily: “We have been waiting for a long time for this development to get this stage.“It was hoped that it would reach this stage a lot quicker.“But at last it has got this far and Buncrana is under serious pressure with the housing waiting list which is at a serious level now,” he added.“It is almost possible to find a rental property in Buncrana, so it will be great to see people get the keys to these houses that need them. “But it will also lift the pressure off what is already a very congestant rental market at the minute.”Housing boost for Buncrana welcomed as building tenders sought was last modified: August 21st, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Todd NeeleyDTN Staff ReporterOMAHA (DTN) — The EPA broke away from Renewable Fuel Standard requirements for granting small-refinery waivers starting in May 2017 and continued to deny a congressional order regarding which refiners qualify, according to a 97-page brief filed in a federal court in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday.The brief was filed in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit by attorneys on behalf of the Advanced Biofuels Association. The group sued the EPA in response to it granting 48 small-refinery waivers in 2016 and 2017.In all, agency waivers reduced biofuel blending requirements for refiners by about 2.25 billion gallons in 2016 and 2017. Biodiesel industry officials estimate producers lost about 300 million gallons from waivers.The partially redacted document shows the agency originally was allowed to grant temporary, two-year exemptions starting in 2005. In recent years, however, the agency granted exemption extensions beyond two years — including a refiner that never received a prior exemption.The EPA approved waivers for small refiners that didn’t have the minimum U.S. Department of Energy score to qualify, the brief said, and improperly considered the debts of small-refiners’ parent companies when examining waiver requests.In addition, the brief showed evidence the agency considered small-refiners’ operating losses whether or not they were related to RFS compliance. The agency also considered what small refiners might spend on biofuel credits, without looking at revenue they would later generate from sales of Renewable Identification Numbers, or RINs.The Advanced Biofuels Association asked the court to declare the agency’s methodology for determining disproportionate economic hardship as “unlawful.”The group asked the court to strike down the agency’s disproportionate economic hardship policy, based on a small-refinery’s operating losses or debts held on behalf of parent companies.Attorneys for the group also asked the court to declare “unlawful” the agency’s action to grant extensions of temporary exemptions that “were not continuously subject to a temporary exemption in all preceding years or that never received a temporary exemption.”When contacted by DTN, EPA spokesman Michael Abboud said, “We don’t comment on pending litigation.”PRUITT ACTIONSAfter former EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt took control of the agency, EPA said in a note on a May 4, 2017, final agency decision on a small-refinery request, that it had changed its approach, although it was not made public.“In prior decisions, EPA considered that a small refinery could not show disproportionate economic hardship without showing an effect on ‘viability,’ but we are changing our approach,” the brief said.“While a showing of significant impairment of refinery operations may help establish disproportionate economic hardship, compliance with RFS obligations may impose a disproportionate economic hardship when it is disproportionately difficult for a refinery to comply with its RFS obligations — even if the refinery’s operations are not significantly impaired.”BLANKET EXEMPTIONSTemporary blanket exemptions were recognized by Congress as possibly necessary for refiners that produce 75,000 or fewer barrels of crude oil per day and would face difficulty in complying with the RFS.“Many small refineries did not have infrastructure to be able to blend renewable fuels into conventional fuels and would therefore need to rely on the purchase of RINs to meet their RFS obligations,” the brief said.As a result, Congress granted all small refineries in operation at the start of the RFS program a temporary blanket exemption from compliance with the RFS program through compliance year 2010.“At the end of the temporary blanket exemption, however, small refineries would be required to meet the same renewable fuel obligations as all other refineries, unless their exemption is extended,” the brief said.Congress ordered the Department of Energy (DOE) to conduct a study on whether RFS compliance would “impose a disproportionate economic hardship on small refineries,” the brief said. The temporary exemption period came about as a result of the study.The initial temporary blanket exemption covering all 59 small refineries through 2010 then gave way to a two-year extension of the temporary exemptions to only 24 small refineries identified by the DOE, the brief said.During compliance years 2013 to 2015, on average, just 14 small refineries asked for extensions of the temporary exemptions. During that three-year period, EPA granted 23 of the 43 petitions the agency received.In 2017, the number of small refineries filing for exemptions retroactively for 2016 jumped from 14 the previous year to 20. The rate in which EPA granted these petitions also increased dramatically from 53% to 95%.“While EPA at this time did not publish any information about the number of small-refinery petitions received or granted, the small-refining industry clearly got the message that the odds of receiving an exemption had dramatically increased.”To read the full brief, visit http://www.dtn.com/….Todd Neeley can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.orgFollow him on Twitter @toddneeleyDTN(CC/AG)© Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.
New Delhi, Oct 8 (PTI) The next time you are at an airport in the country, you might notice a change in the way the CISF personnel welcome you.The force responsible for airport security across the country has asked its personnel not to be over-friendly with passengers as it shifts from a ‘broad smile’ concept to a more disciplined and ‘sufficient smile’ theory to welcome travellers so that it can focus more on further improving their security, two top officials said Monday.”From broad smiles, we are now coming to a sufficient smile system as focussing on the core area of ensuring fool proof security is more important,” said the force’s Additional DG and chief of aviation security M A Ganapathy when asked about imparting soft skills to CISF personnel for better interaction with passengers.He was briefing reporters about 2-day ‘international aviation security seminar’ beginning here from Tuesday.CISF Director General (DG) Rajesh Ranjan echoed his views and said an over-stress on just enhancing soft skills of the airport security personnel had its own pitfalls.”We cannot be over-friendly with the passengers because one of the reasons cited as to why 9/11 (the 2001 terror attack on twin towers in US) happened…was excessive reliance on passenger-friendly features where security personnel went out of the way to ensure that the passenger is facilitated, thereby compromising on security,” the DG said.”So, friendly smiles are good but focus should be on the core duties (of security) that we perform at the airports as also rightly pointed out by the ADG,” he said.advertisementAlso, the behaviour and discipline of CISF personnel have been analysed by many agencies, he said, “and I can say that we shine above the world in this domain.”The paramilitary force guards 60 civil airports of the country at present and has also made a case for installation of body scanners for passenger screening and procurement of body-worn cameras for its personnel to make security system robust at airports.While the scanners will ensure that a traveller does not conceal any item in his body that could be a security risk to the terminal or in the aircraft, the body cameras will be sported by CISF jawans for audio-visual recording of the interaction between them and the arriving passenger and its feedback will be used to better flying procedures and ensure correct behaviour by both parties.While the scanners will be procured by the airport operators after approval from regulatory authorities like BCAS, the body-worn cameras will be purchased by the force once it gets the required budget, ADG Ganapathy said.Ranjan added that the force is experimenting with modern technology at various airports of the country for better security.”We have tested the body scanners and body-worn cameras over a period of time and we have given our recommendations to the government which includes the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS), the Ministry of Civil Aviation and the Union Home Ministry.”The recommendation is to procure these gadgets,” the Central Industrial Security Force chief said.He added that the force is yet to get the “details” of the Digi Yatra initiative, announced by the Civil Aviation ministry recently, for seamless travel for air passengers.Ranjan said the force is of the opinion that all civil airports in the country should be under its security cover but issues like cost of deployment (of CISF) and threat perception to a facility are subjects analysed by other stakeholders in the domain.When pointed out that the recently inaugurated Pakyong airport in Sikkim does not have a CISF cover, the DG said that such border facilities are “strategically very important from our point of view and they should have robust security set up” but the decision to deploy CISF at any such facility is taken by the government.He said that airports in Jammu and Kashmir, presently guarded by other forces like the CRPF, should have “much more robust security infrastructure” but the final decision in this context is taken by the government after assessment by multiple agencies.The DG added that the CISF was “ready and prepared” to take over security responsibilities of the new and small airports made operational by the government under the regional connectivity scheme (RCS).”It is a thought to deploy CISF at some airports (under RCS) but there is no decision yet,” he said.The DG said the CISF will soon take over security duties at the newly-built Kannur airport in Kerala.He said the force is looking at modern technology to launch ‘express security check’ of hand baggage, electronic stamping of boarding cards and dispensing hand baggage tags at all airports under its cover.advertisementAt present, hand baggage is not tagged at 48 airports, out of the total 60, by the CISF.The DG said issues of getting adequate CCTV coverage at airports and having bomb disposal and detection squads at all of them are being addressed timely. PTI NES NES TIRTIR
August 10, 2005 On Saturday, August 13., the Colly Soleri Music Center features its annual concert by California EAR Unit. Every year EAR presents new music by some of the most talented composers of our time. Each performance is the culmination of a special seminar that provides an opportunity for gifted composers to study and work with professional musicians. The schedule will begin at 4:00 pm with a complimentary site tour followed by a wine reception in the Arcosanti Cafe at 5:00 pm. The concert will start at 5:30 pm. Dinner will be served at 7:30 pm. On the menu: Arcosanti Figs with Honey and Blue Cheese, Tapenade, White Bean Pest Sauce, Green Salad with Pears and Pecans, Butternut Squash with Orange and Cranberry. Arcosanti Tomatoes with Olives, Orange Cup fill with Grains, Beans and Garden Vegetables, Carfish with Avocado-Mango Salsa, Hazelnut Custard with Apricots. Photo is of EAR concert in 2004. [Photo: Yuki Yanagimoto & text: sa]
Local couple celebrating 50th anniversary wants to see their marriage on public recordState Rep. Triston Cole (left) testified with Bonnie and Doug Dean in support of his bill to allow private marriages between minors to be made public after both parties are at least 18.The House Families, Children, and Seniors Committee today approved legislation authored by state Rep. Triston Cole to allow private marriages between minors to be made public after both parties are at least 18.Under current law, only persons at least 18 years of age may be married without parental consent. However, a probate judge may marry, without publicity, minors between the ages of 16 and 18 years old if these individuals have their parents’ permission.There is nothing in the statute allowing these individuals’ marriage records to be made public once they both reach 18 years of age. The bill would allow the court to unseal the record of their marriage.Bonnie and Doug Dean testified with Cole about having a “secret marriage.” Last summer they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. The only gift they were asking for is the ability to see their marriage on public record.“These marriages should not be hidden away based solely on the age of the individuals,” said Cole, of Mancelona. “The bill would allow for these secret marriages to be made public after both parties involved are no longer minors.”The legislation will allow marriage licenses to be unsealed upon the following conditions:· All petitioners were married without publicity under section 1 of the act.· The petitioners are both at least 18 years of age at the time of the filing.· Both of the petitioners wish to unseal the record of the marriage.Once the petition has been received and the court determines the above qualifications are met, the court shall forward a copy of the license and certificate of marriage to the clerk in the county the license was issued. The court shall also forward a copy of the marriage record to the state registrar.House Bill 4802 moves to the full House for consideration.### 05Oct Rep. Cole bill allows private marriages between minors to be made public Categories: Cole News
Open source online video platform provider Kaltura is planning to implement direct support for MPEG-DASH by the end of the year, according to director of product Michael Dale.Speaking to DTVE at IBC, where Kaltura has been running a proof-of-concept MPEG-DASH demo, Dale said that the firm was pushing forward on emerging standards for live video distribution and that MPEG-DASH support would follow as the industry begins to adapt to the technology.“We recognise this is where the industry is going so we will be ready to turn it on as soon as the browsers support it,” said Dale.“We’re waiting for Internet Explorer 11 to ship, we’re waiting for Google to ship Chrome updates to all their Android devices. Once it does, you want to have a platform that’s ready to roll.”He added that many clients had been requesting MPEG-DASH support, because “for Android Live web delivery, we don’t have a lot of good options today.”The news comes in the same week that Kaltura announced a partnership with LiveU – a specialist in video-over-cellular solutions that allow live video transmissions in HD and SD from any location.Through the deal, LiveU live HD video feeds to be imported and transmitted directly to Kaltura’s video player and range of video applications. Kaltura said that this will allow customers to have an end-to-end, live-to-VOD video solution from ingest to streaming.This includes uploading, transcoding and processing, video management, video publishing, multi-rate video playing, video syndication, monetization, distribution, including OTT (over-the-top), and video editing tools.