Office of housing returns to old move-out inspection policy

first_imgThis year, preliminary end-of-the-year student room inspections took place in some residence halls the Sunday before the final week of classes. This change is a transition back to the policy of prior years; last year was the only year in which inspections took place during finals week.Karen Kennedy, Director of Housing, said the “change” in procedure is actually a reversion back to the procedure that was observed for more than a decade.“The practice of requiring all student rooms to be inspection-ready by 10 p.m. on the Sunday before the last week of classes has been long standing at the University,” she said. “Last year’s move-out process was handled differently and, because those changes did not produce positive results, it was decided to return to the previous time line for readiness for room inspections.”Kennedy said there are two goals for student rooms to be ready for inspection by Sunday at 10 p.m.“One is to provide for the University to be able to inspect rooms for critical repairs that must be made as soon as students move out, and the other is to confine the noises associated with furniture moving and assembling/disassembling prior to the start of study days and finals,” she said.Kennedy said the procedure benefits students as they study and rest for finals.The transition back to the old policy is a direct result of the negative feedback and logistical issues created from the change last year, Kennedy said.“We received feedback from both students and hall staff that the procedures implemented last year provided for additional noise throughout finals week and also made room inspections more challenging, resulting in untimely damage billing charges and other challenges in preparing the halls for Commencement and summer guests,” Kennedy said.Kennedy said students who fail to comply with move-out procedures may be subject to a fine.“These fines help ensure compliance and, when applicable, cover the costs of repairs, undue cleaning and lost keys,” Kennedy said.Kennedy said elevated beds, which are permitted to be constructed in residence halls without modular furniture, have been required to be down by 10 p.m. the Sunday before the last week of classes for at least a decade.“Students who choose to construct elevated beds are notified of and agree to this when they sign the elevated agreement form at the beginning of the year,” Kennedy said.Kennedy said this procedures are always being revised according to feedback received from individuals throughout the Notre Dame community.“I understand and appreciate the concerns shared with me by students, and will take student feedback into consideration when looking toward how move-out and room inspections will be handled in future years,” Kennedy said.Tags: Housing, move-out, Office of Housinglast_img read more

Martinez sets points target

first_img Press Association A 3-2 victory over Swansea – an eighth successive league win at Goodison Park – lifted the Toffees into fifth place and eight points behind Arsenal, in fourth, with a match in hand. Although Martinez is happy with his side’s tally of 54 points from 29 games he believes his side will have to maintain that average of 1.8 points per game to stand a chance of breaking into the Champions League places – and then they are still relying on one of the teams above them slipping up. The fact they have yet to face Manchester City and Arsenal, two top-four incumbents, at home is in their favour and the Everton manager has urged his players to set their sights high. “The points tally is what excites me. Nine games to go and 54 points – that is a very good return,” said the Spaniard. “This year’s competition is as strong as it has been and to get to Europe you will need the highest points tally for a few years, so we need to be perfect and look at ourselves. “The Europa League is not our aim, our aim is to get as many points as we can. “Champions League football will be around 71 points – that is our target.” Everton made hard work of dispensing with a Swansea side who have failed to beat the Toffees in 20 meetings now. Leighton Baines put the hosts ahead from the penalty spot, only for Wilfried Bony to equalise in the first half. However, the spell immediately after the interval saw Romelu Lukaku and Ross Barkley restore the lead and Ashley Williams’ injury-time header came too late to change anything. Everton manager Roberto Martinez has set his side the target of taking 17 points from their remaining nine matches to see if they can qualify for the Champions League. “I am very pleased. We faced a really difficult test in Swansea and to get the all-important three points is a fantastic feeling,” he added. “We started really well the first 25 minutes then Swansea deserved the equaliser. “We deserved the two-goal lead but at that point we sat back a little bit too much, trying to use the counter-attack – but overall I was very pleased with the maturity we had.” Swansea have problems at the other end of the table. Since sacking Michael Laudrup and putting former defender Garry Monk in charge they have picked up five points from six games and lie just four points above the relegation zone. “We are working every day on the training ground,” said interim boss Monk. “If I thought I wasn’t doing the right things I am honest enough to know. I will hold my hands up. “I am not one of those managers who are going to sugar-coat things or lie to anyone. “We have been very unlucky not to come up with a lot more points. “When you come to places like this – and pretty much any game – there is always a period when the opposition have pressure and you have to manage it properly, get through it unscathed and make the right choices. “We didn’t do it and it cost us dearly. If we hadn’t given them such a lead we could have been able to come away with something. “Effort and desire this team has got it and will continue to show it until the end of the season – but we have to be clever in periods when we haven’t got the ball.” last_img read more

Marshalltown marks anniversary of tornado touchdown

first_imgMARSHALLTOWN —- Today marks one year since an EF-3 tornado plowed through the northern section of Marshalltown, leaving behind a path of damage — but no loss of life or any serious injuries.One of the many images that folks remember showed the cupola atop the Marshall County Courthouse being swatted to the ground by the twister. The storm also ruptured the building sprinkler system, sending out rivers of water on the east side of the historic courthouse.Marshall County Supervisor Steve Salesek was among the county personnel who were soon the scene “We went upstairs and poked our head out of the top where the mast used to be. There was a gaping hole us there about eight to ten feet, so we had quite a view up there for a short time,” Salesek says. The initial damage estimate on the Courthouse exceeded $17 million. The plan is for the County to move back into the Courthouse sometime after Valentine’s Day next year.Another image was of the damage to the RACOM building. The tornado ripped the siding off the building so you could see right through it. RACOM CEO Mike Miller says their repair work will take another six months.  “The outside of the building will be an aluminum panel, the siding is built to withstand winds of 150 miles-an-hour. I think you’ll see bigger windows, nicer windows, a nicer, more modern design. But we feel a responsibility to sort of , when given an opportunity, to upgrade and make things nicer,” Miller says.Miller recalled one of the unique things about the tornado. “There was a refrigerator on the fourth floor of the building full of soda pop. We couldn’t find that refrigerator anywhere around,” he says. “About three or four days later, we found it six blocks away. The tornado had the power to rip that refrigerator out of the building, move it six blocks away, and then set it down gently enough that the soda pop was still in the refrigerator…it’s just sorta strange, the power of a tornado.”An ice cream social is among the events scheduled to help mark the anniversary of the tornado.last_img read more

Teen allegedly shot by stepfather for refusing to shelter in place

first_imgPolice in Atlanta are reporting that a 16-year-old boy was shot to death by his stepfather after the teen refused to obey their orders to shelter in place and left the home.The incident occurred just after 8 p.m. on Wednesday night.Authorities says they received a call about a teen who had been shot and arrived to the home to find 16-year-old De’ onte Roberts suffering from a fatal gunshot wound.Roberts was rushed to Grady Memorial Hospital where he ultimately died from his injuries.Roberts’ mother told authorities that the incident began earlier in the day as an argument because the teen wanted to go out despite the county’s orders to remain at home.  The teen left the home anyway and when he returned later that day, he kicked down the door of the home to regain entry.That’s when he and the stepfather, 43-year-old Bernie Hargrove got into a physical altercation. Hargrove then pulled a gun and shot the teen.Hargrove has since been arrested and charged with felony murder. He was denied bond during his court hearing on Thursday is currently being held at the Fulton County Jail.last_img read more

Major League Baseball celebrates Jackie Robinson Day

first_imgJACKIE ROBINSON BOSTON (AP)—Everybody in uniform at the Tampa Bay Rays game Monday against the Red Sox at Fenway Park wore the number “42” as Major League Baseball celebrated its fifth annual Jackie Robinson Day.Fans will see more of that number on jerseys before the next couple of days are out. All the teams in action—there were eight night games on the schedule, in addition to the Rays-Red Sox day game—were asked to wear Robinson’s number on the 66th anniversary of his breaking the color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers. Teams that didn’t play on Monday planned to pay tribute Tuesday.The anniversary is drawing special attention this year with the release of the film “42” about Robinson, which went into wide release over the weekend.“We had a screening down in spring training,” Rays manager Joe Maddon said. “It was open to all of our personnel.”More than 100 players and other club employees watched the film at a theater in Port Charlotte, Fla., the Rays’ spring training site, “and I think a lot of guys walked away with a greater appreciation” of Robinson’s contribution,” Maddon said.Maddon said Robinson’s debut on April 15, 1947, helped lead to the broader civil rights movement.“I still don’t think people understand how much it plays into the Martin Luther King situation,” he said. “The revolution that occurred at that particular moment, it mattered. That had to happen first to set that whole thing up.“So when you’re talking about Jackie Robinson, I don’t think people realize the significance and really courage that went behind that, and in the movie it points that out—the courage to not fight back, to be able to win over that particular mind set to be able to make all of this work.”Red Sox manager John Farrell said baseball “reflects society in so many ways, whether it’s the color barriers being broken down. In our clubhouse you’ve got six or seven countries coming together. As a group of 25, you look to not only co-exist, but (recognize) the individuality of everyone in there.“Certainly, the Robinson family and, certainly, Jackie himself may be one of the most significant situations in our country’s history, breaking down segregation to the point of inclusion and I think that happens in the game today.”The movie “42” earned an estimated $27.3 million over the weekend, according to Warner Brothers, its distributor.The subject’s popularity extends to the sale of licensed sports merchandise. Fanatics.com, a large online retailer of those items, said sales of Jackie Robinson gear on its site since the season began increased by more than 1,000 percent over the same time period last year.last_img read more

Many Sign Up for Girls Circle, Room for More

first_imgFacebook1Tweet0Pin0OLYMPIA – In January the YWCA of Olympia began offering the nationally recognized Girls Circle prevention program across Thurston County.  More than 60 middle-school age girls are now participating.  “We’ve had a good response from girls and parents”, said Kelly Hanson, YWCA Girls Circle staff.  “The program is a safe, positive place for girls during a sometimes tumultuous time in life”.  Girls Circle is held once a week, usually afterschool, over an 8 to 12 week period.  Research shows participating in Girls Circle promotes academic achievement, reduces alcohol use and improves the ability of girls to form healthier bonds with others.Five local school districts and the Boys & Girls Clubs of Thurston County signed on to offer the program.  “Being a rural district, it can be hard to access outside resources,” said Charla Dunham, Tenino District School Nurse.  “Girls Circle is a great opportunity for our families.”  YWCA staff provides the program on-site, at no-cost to partner schools and agencies.“We are pleased to be working in the communities of Tenino, Rochester, Olympia, Lacey, Rainier and Tumwater”, said Karmel Shields, YWCA Executive Director.  “That is a great start, but we have room for more.”  The YWCA wants to hear from schools and other youth-serving organizations interested in hosting Girls Circle this Spring.  The program serves girls between the ages of 10 and 14 who live in Thurston County.Girls Circle is made possible through a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women’s Health grant awarded to the Thurston County Public Health & Social Services Department.  The purpose of the grant is to improve health outcomes of local girls.For more information about Girls Circle call the YWCA at 360-352-0593.For information about the grant, visit the Thurston Coalition for Women’s Health webpage at www.co.thurston.wa.us/health or call the Health Department’s Women’s Health Coordinator Kateri Wimsett at 360-867-2516.last_img read more