Rugby steps up transformation drive

first_imgThe Vodacom Cup has been contested on an annual basis since 1998 and is an inter-provincial competition for all 14 South African unions. Jurie Roux, the CEO of Saru, said that no sanctions had been specified, should a province fail to select the required numbers of black players. He said the question and other operational matters around the policy would be addressed by the Games and Policy committee. Hoskins said Saru had taken the initiative, rather than wait for other agencies to force action. “The Vodacom Cup is a critical step on the development pathway in professional rugby, but it had moved away from its primary purpose of presenting opportunities for young emerging players, particularly black players. “All the 14 provinces recognised that fact and that we needed to address it as a strategic objective at our Transformation Indaba last year. That and other decisions were shared with the Department of Sports and Recreation, as well as the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee. ‘We needed to intervene’“The mood of the organisation is that we needed to intervene – and this was coming from the provinces as well – to see the graph of black player representation begin to rise,” he said. SAinfo reporter and SA Rugby ‘Tangible step’“This is rugby’s tangible step on delivering on that pledge,” he said. “The intended outcome is an increased pool of black talent from which Absa Currie Cup and Vodacom Super Rugby coaches can select and, in due course, more options for the Springbok coach.”center_img 15 August 2013 The South African Rugby Union (Saru) has stepped up its transformation drive, announcing compulsory targets for next season’s Vodacom Cup competition that will require a minimum of seven black players in each of the country’s provincial teams. The directive, released on Wednesday, also says that at least of those players must be in the starting 15, and at least two of the players must be forwards. The initiative was taken by the executive council of Saru on Monday and discussed with provincial unions on Tuesday. The numbers were determined in line with Saru’s global transformation strategy and after a review of historical levels of black representation in the competition. The tournament runs from March to April and, since its introduction, has been the competition in which virtually the majority of Springboks have made their senior provincial debut. ‘Commitment to transformation’“This decision to introduce measurable targets underlines Saru’s commitment to transformation,” Saru president Oregan Hoskins said in a statement. last_img read more

Backup Your Google Docs With LTech’s New Tool

first_imgAre you backing up your Google Docs? If not, it’s better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to the cloud. For customers of the enterprise and education versions of the document software as a service, LTech’s new tool lets administrators do comprehensive or selective backups. There have been options before to backup your Docs, but LTech seems to be the first official enterprise partner of Google to offer such a software package. Currently there’s a single user demo available for free, with an enterprise license for the domain version (of Apps). LTech has been an enterprise partner of Google for quite some time, 2001 to be exact. Their flagship products have focused on Google Apps specifically, providing management and single sign on capabilities. Older options for backing up your Google Docs were fairly hit and miss. For personal backups, there have been utilities available on Google Code, or a Greasemonkey script for Firefox users. But neither of these are well-suited to heavy use by enterprises. The Google Docs Backup from LTech currently only works in Windows, which is natural for an enterprise tool. However, in a phone call with LTech, it became clear that OSX and perhaps even Linux compatibility is in their roadmap. The Google Docs API (and others) that are the primary driver for the tool are not actually tied to a Windows architecture of course. In terms of usability, the backup system is pretty simple. The default mode to interact with your Docs is through a GUI, but there is support for working from the command line. Authentication with both your admin credentials and OAuth key are required. Once you’re in, you can backup Docs to your local drive either in bulk or filtered by folder. Output file types include, but aren’t limited to, Microsoft Office, PDF, rich text and HTML. Once you’re done, there’s a plain text report issued that keeps track of all your stats.The system automatically separates out users in to their own folders, and you can do basically whatever you want with the files once they’ve been synced to your machine. Primary motivators for those with an enterprise license are related to sharing with those without Docs access and for compliance. For those purposes, LTech’s tools is a solid choice. Tags:#enterprise#Products#saas 3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now Related Posts Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of…center_img IT + Project Management: A Love Affair steven walling Massive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo…last_img read more

Tripura, where demand for Assam-like NRC widens gap between indigenous people and non-tribal settlers

first_imgThe Supreme Court on October 8 issued notice to the Centre and the Election Commission on a public interest litigation petition by a non-political forum seeking an exercise, similar to the one done in Assam, to update the National Register of Citizens (NRC) for Tripura. Pradyot Bikram Manikya Debbarma, son of Tripura’s last king, filed an affidavit in the court a fortnight later in favour of the NRC. A long-standing demand of Tripura’s ‘tribal nationalists’ for deportation of illegal migrants from Bangladesh resulted in these petitions, widening the gap between the indigenous people and non-tribal settlers, mostly Bengali Hindus and some Muslims.What is the demand about?Tripura is often cited in the northeastern region as an example of how migration can alter the demographic pattern of the State. Census data show the population of Tripura’s 19 Scheduled Tribes dropped from 63.77% in 1881 to 31.78% in 2011. This is attributed to the migration of 6.10 lakh Bengalis — the figure almost equal to the State’s total population in 1951 — from East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) between 1947 and 1971. Going by the language census of 2011, Tripura has 24.14 lakh Bengali speakers, thrice the 8.87 lakh who speak Kokborok, the language of the largest tribal group. Unlike the NRC of Assam, where the cut-off date for excluding the putative foreigners is March 24, 1971, tribal groups in Tripura want July 19, 1948, as the date of determining migrants as per the provision of Indian nationality laws for people who migrated from territories that became East Pakistan. The Tripura People’s Front suggested this cut-off date in its petition. The petition followed former extremist leader and chief of Indigenous Nationalist Party of Twipra Bijoy Kumar Hrangkhawl’s meeting with Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.What is the Bengali view?Bengali academics and politicians admit migration was high after Partition in 1947, but the forebears of the Bengali migrants were essentially subjects or tenants of Tripura’s Manikya kings since the 13th century. Tripura became a princely state during British rule. The kings had sway over Hill Tippera, the hilly kingdom roughly the present area of Tripura, besides a zamindari in British India called Chakla Roshanabad or Tippera, comprising five districts of the present-day Bangladesh, then called East Bengal. These districts are Comilla, Brahmanbaria, Noakhali, Chittagong and a part of Sylhet. The kingdom’s revenue came from the resources-rich areas inhabited by Bengalis. The royalty, belonging to the largest tribal group called Tripuri, didn’t just keep the Bengalis in the plains of Chakla Roshanabad. The Rajmala, Tripura’s royal chronicles, says the kings brought educated Bengalis to run the administration and encouraged settlement of Bengali peasants with incentives like land grants. When did the conflict begin?King Bir Bikram Kishore Manikya (1923-1947) realised that his tribal subjects could be outnumbered by the Bengalis and created a 2,050-square mile tribal reserve in 1943 for the Tripuri, Reang, Halam, Noatia and Jamatiya tribes. This was the precursor to the Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council, exclusive to these five and 14 other tribes. The fear of being swamped by Bengalis led to tribal extremism, first in the 1960s, and with more intensity two decades later. Tribal groups killed 1,400 Bengalis in 1980, but counter-insurgency operations made most outfits declare truce by the late 1990s. The scars remained, so much so that tribal NGOs pushed for switching the script of their Kokborok language from Bengali to Roman. The demand for Twipraland, a state for tribal people, gained ground.Where does the NRC stand?Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb initially rejected the demand for the NRC, but said later that his government would undertake the exercise if it succeeded in Assam. The ruling BJP’s ally Indigenous People’s Front of Tripura – behind the Twipraland demand – favours the NRC. Pradyot Manikya, a Congress leader, feels an error-free NRC could help Tripura revisit political representation.last_img read more

Defense a priority for talented Chooks Pilipinas 3×3

first_imgMOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. More than 5,000 measles deaths in DR Congo this year — WHO The Chooks-Pilipinas 3×3 squad. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO/ Joaqui FloresCoach Eric Altamirano felt that last year’s Philippine team for the 3×3 World Cup could have done better had the team not run into injuries along the way.Mac Belo, Karl Dehesa, and Glenn Khobuntin fought valiantly in the 2016 tilt, but could only muster a 2-2 slate to finish third in Group C and miss out in the knockout stages of the 3×3 World Cup in China.ADVERTISEMENT Lakers win 9th straight, hold off Pelicans View comments LOOK: Vhong Navarro’s romantic posts spark speculations he’s marrying longtime GF Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games South Korea to suspend 25% of coal plants to fight pollutioncenter_img LATEST STORIES Diaz’ weightlifting success inspires kids in Mindanao Children’s Games Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students PLAY LIST 01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes “I thought that we could have done better last year except that Russel Escoto got injured,” said Altamirano, remembering last year’s campaign in the international halfcourt stage.“We were playing with three players, so in the end, they got burned out. During the crucial stages, we didn’t have any gas left,” he said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingThis time,Chooks-Pilipinas 3×3 will be out for redemption in the 2017 Fiba 3×3 World Cup in Nantes, France from June 17 to 21.Kobe Paras, Jeron Teng, Kiefer Ravena, and JR Quiñahan will wear the national tri-colors as they compete in Group B against hosts France, Slovenia, Romania, and El Salvador. ‘Coming Home For Christmas’ is the holiday movie you’ve been waiting for, here’s why SEA Games: PH beats Indonesia, enters gold medal round in polo Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Though there is no doubt in Altamirano’s mind that his players can rack up the points, his focus, though is on the team’s defense as they brace for bigger foes in the halfcourt.“I have no question about the offense. I think our players have the skill to be able to score. The question I have is on our defense because they’ll be up against bigger and stronger players,” he said.Altamirano, though, expressed confidence that the hunger of the young guns together with Quiñahan’s veteran know-hows will be enough to lift the squad to the win.“Before, we had Terrence Romeo. He was one of the smallest players but he was able to excel and help the team win. And that’s exactly the role I can see Kiefer and Jeron will be filling.  We’ve had experiences before where we have a small lineup and I think that balances also with the athleticism of Kobe and the maturity of JR,” he said.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

Beermen escape Fuel Masters for share of third place

first_imgLATEST STORIES Winter storm threatens to scramble Thanksgiving travel plans Rain or Shine dumps Alaska in Hontiveros, dela Cruz farewell MOST READ With the game tied at 100, Terrence Watson took charge and muscled his way inside for four straight points to give San Miguel a 104-100 lead with 1:46 left in the game.Arwind Santos then, stole the ball from Brandon Brown at the 27-second mark and this led to June Mar Fajardo’s two free throws that gave the Beermen a 106-100 bubble.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening“I realized it’s really hard to win a game especially when you go up against a team that has everything to gain nothing to lose,” said Beermen head coach Leo Austria. “Phoenix’ pride is still there and they really want to win.”San Miguel enjoyed a bevy of double-double performances from three individuals with Terrence Watson leading the way with 26 points, 11 rebounds, five assists, three steals, and three blocks. Trump to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist groups ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims Reigning MVP June Mar Fajardo put up 24 points, 17 rebounds, four assists, and six blocks while point guard Alex Cabagnot had 24 points, 13 rebounds, and six assists.Brown had a game-high 30 points with 17 boards to lead the Fuel Masters.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PBA IMAGESANTIPOLO—San Miguel held off a tough endgame from Phoenix to escape with a 109-107 victory in the PBA Governors’ Cup Wednesday at Ynares Sports Center here.The Beermen improved to 7-3 and created a logjam at third place with TNT and NLEX while the Fuel Masters, who failed to qualify for the quarterfinals, slipped to their ninth straight loss and a 2-9 card.ADVERTISEMENT No more menthol cigarettes: New ban on tobacco, vape flavors Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Argentine bishop appears at court hearing on abuse charges View commentslast_img read more

Gov’t Expanding Reduced Waiting Time Initiative in Health Facilities

Health Minister, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, says the Reduced Waiting Time Initiative that was implemented last year in 15 health facilities islandwide, will be expanded during the 2018/19 fiscal year, after recording positive results in those institutions.Speaking in the 2018/19 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on Tuesday (June 5), Dr. Tufton said the Government remains committed to reducing the waiting period for patients accessing services at health institutions islandwide.“Our Reduced Waiting Time Initiative was successfully implemented in seven hospitals and eight health centres in year one. The extended hours in the eight health centres (in particular) have resulted in a 41 per cent increase in visits, with about 20 per cent of overall visits during the extended hours,” he noted.The Minister advised that the initiative will be expanded to four additional hospitals and four health centres, moving the total to 23.Meanwhile, Dr. Tufton said the Compassionate Care Programme, which was launched during the 2017/18 fiscal year, has also been a success.“The Victoria Jubilee Hospital Outpatient Antenatal Clinic was upgraded and is now fully refurbished with sectionalised assessment booths to allow for privacy while patients are being assessed and counselled,” he indicated.Dr. Tufton also pointed out that the environment “now promotes positive health behaviour through the various health messages”.“We have also developed the Compassionate Care and Volunteer Policy to provide guidelines to institutionalise the volunteerism programme in the public healthcare system,” he further stated. “Our Reduced Waiting Time Initiative was successfully implemented in seven hospitals and eight health centres in year one. The extended hours in the eight health centres (in particular) have resulted in a 41 per cent increase in visits, with about 20 per cent of overall visits during the extended hours,” he noted. Speaking in the 2018/19 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on Tuesday (June 5), Dr. Tufton said the Government remains committed to reducing the waiting period for patients accessing services at health institutions islandwide. Story Highlights Health Minister, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, says the Reduced Waiting Time Initiative that was implemented last year in 15 health facilities islandwide, will be expanded during the 2018/19 fiscal year, after recording positive results in those institutions. read more