China reports almost all new infections outside Wuhan originated abroad

first_imgFor the second day in a row, there were no new infections in Hubei outside of the provincial capital of Wuhan, where new cases fell to the lowest level since Jan. 25.Special institutions like prisons, detention centers and nursing homes in Wuhan, which have seen nearly 1,800 confirmed cases as of March 5, still have potential risks in virus control and prevention, the Communist Party’s Politics and Law Commission said on Saturday.The total number of confirmed cases in mainland China so far is 80,651.The death toll from the outbreak in mainland China was 3,070 as of the end of Friday, up by 28 from the previous day.The central province of Hubei, the epicenter of the outbreak, reported 28 new deaths. In the provincial capital of Wuhan, 21 people died.  About a quarter of China’s new confirmed cases and almost all of those outside the epidemic’s epicenter in Wuhan originated outside the country on Friday, according to official data.Most of these cases, which include infections of Chinese nationals who caught the virus abroad, were in China’s northwestern Gansu province, among quarantined passengers who entered the provincial capital of Lanzhou on commercial flights from Iran between March 2 and March 5.Mainland China had 99 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infections on Friday, the country’s National Health Commission (NHC) said on Saturday, down from 143 cases a day earlier and marking the lowest number since Jan. 20, when the NHC started to publish nationwide figures. Topics :center_img Outside of central China’s Hubei province, there were 25 new confirmed cases reported on March 6, of which 24 came from outside China.The capital Beijing reported four new cases on Friday, of which three came from Italy, according to a notice from the Beijing health commission posted on its official Weibo account on Saturday.There were also three cases in Shanghai that originated abroad, and one in Guangdong province on Friday, according to the National Health Commission.The total nationwide number of cases that originated outside China reached 60 as of the end of Friday.last_img read more

Twin city fires raze 11 houses

first_imgILOILO City – A total of 11 houses inthe City Proper were hit by two separate fires in the morning and afternoonyesterday. It was unclear yet what caused theafternoon fire and where it started./PN “Our investigators found out that thehouse had small electrical wirings,” she revealed. The two partially damaged housesbelonged to Odel Obela and Eduardo Dela Cruz. According to Chief Inspector MelaniaHabawel, city fire marshal, the totally razed houses were owned by LiliaDomingo, Patrick Laurente and Asarenas Jaca. As of this writing, a mop up operationwas ongoing. The fire started at Domingo’s houseand caused by an electrical short circuit, said Habawel. No person died or got injured in thefire. In the afternoon, some 12 hours afterthe morning blaze, fire hit six houses in Barangay Gloria. The Bureau of FireProtection received a fire call at around 5:25 p.m. The blaze started past 5:30 a.m. Fire struck five houses in BarangayConcepcion in the morning. Three of these were totally gutted. As this was being written, the city’sfire bureau was yet to come up with an estimate of the damage. TO THE RESCUE. Firefighters of the Bureau of Fire Protection in Iloilo City and from volunteer groups position themselves atop this roof to spray with water the houses burning behind a tall wall in Barangay Gloria, Iloilo City on Sunday afternoon, Feb. 16, 2020. This is the second fire to hit the city yesterday. In the morning, fire struck Barangay Concepcion also in the City Proper. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PNlast_img read more