Other precautions useful as vaccine distribution will take time

first_imgHis comments came one day after biotech company Moderna announced that trials show its vaccine is more than 94% effective in preventing Covid-19. Pfizer last week said its vaccine is more than 90% effective.Wong, who is also the country’s education minister, said the developments were positive, but there’s still “a long way to go” before the safety and efficacy of the vaccines are ensured. They will then need to be distributed and it will take time for a sufficient number of people to be vaccinated, he added. We really need all of these to come together – vaccines, testing, safe distancing, contact tracing.- Advertisement – People wearing face masks as a precaution walking along Orchard Road, a famous shopping district in Singapore.Maverick Asio | SOPA Images | LightRocket | Getty Images Lawrence WongSingapore’s minister for education Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests are currently considered the most accurate in detecting coronavirus infections, but can take a long time to return results.“Developing new rapid tests that are cheaper, simpler, easier to administer, that’s very important to ensure more comprehensive testing,” said Wong.He added that simple precautions such as wearing masks, keeping social gatherings small and maintaining safe distances are “highly effective” in keeping the infection under control.“We really need all of these to come together – vaccines, testing, safe distancing, contact tracing,” he said.Third phase of reopeningAsked when Singapore would enter the third stage of its reopening, the minister said the conditions have to be right.“This is like … a fire that has just been put out. The embers are still around, and it only takes a small spark to get the fire raging again,” he said. SINGAPORE – A coronavirus vaccine won’t be the silver bullet to end the pandemic, the co-chair of Singapore’s Covid-19 task force said this week despite “promising” news from pharmaceutical companies.“We’re certainly encouraged by it, it’s very promising, but I would say also that the vaccine is not a silver bullet to end the pandemic,” Lawrence Wong told “Squawk Box Asia” on Tuesday. “We should not put all our eggs into the vaccine basket.”- Advertisement – Singapore went into a partial lockdown in April and has reopened its economy in phases since June. Phase two started in mid-June.“When can we get to phase three? I’ve emphasized this, that it’s not about rushing into phase three, but making sure that we do it right,” Wong said.Singapore is likely to allow bigger social gatherings and increase capacity limits for public venues such as museums in the next step of reopening.The minister outlined three factors that need to be in place and where the country stands:Effective testing capabilities“On testing metrics, we are doing quite well,” Wong said. The country has reached its target capacity of 40,000 tests a day and is continuing to deploy both PCR tests and rapid antigen tests.Continued vigilance in the community “For the large part, I think we’re doing well,” the minister said, noting that there are occasional cases of people breaching the rules. He added that this is an ongoing measure of Singapore’s “continued cooperation and compliance.”Contact tracing abilitiesAround 50% of the population has downloaded the TraceTogether app or is using a token that allows Singapore to identify people who have been in close contact with confirmed coronavirus cases. “We aim to get that to around 70% or higher, and we think we can get there by the end of the year,” Wong said. “Perhaps it will take a bit longer, but that’s the current timeframe that we’re working on.”“We will do our darndest to go through phase 3, resume activities progressively without having to enter into another circuit breaker or lockdown,” he said. “I don’t think anyone wants to go through that again.” “We should not look only at vaccines,” he said. “We really need all the tools at our disposal, and that includes testing – having more effective ways of testing beyond the ‘gold standard’ of the PCR test.”- Advertisement – – Advertisement –last_img read more

Tennis News US Open: Novak Djokovic defeats del Potro by straight sets, wins 14th Grand Slam title

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Tennis News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Serbian superstar Novak Djokovic on Monday defeated Juan Martin del Potro by straight sets to bag his third US Open title. This is also the second consecutive Grand Slam title for the Serb following his 6-3, 7-6 (7/4), 6-3 victory over del Potro taking him to level with Pete Sampras’ 14 Grand Slams.“When I had my [elbow] surgery this year I could understand what Juan Martín went through. When you’re down, you learn. I tried to take the best out of those moments. I was hoping Pete [Sampras] was going to be here, so I want to say: ‘I love you, hope to see you soon,” said Djokovic court-side.ALSO READ: Eng vs Ind 5th Test, Day 3: Check complete scorecard as hosts dominateDjokovic is now just three Grand Slams behind Rafael Nadal and six behind Roger Federer, who holds the record of 20. This was the third incident when Djokovic completed the Wimbledon-US Open double after missing out the last year’s tournament with an elbow injury.The victory was Djokovic’s 15th win over del Potro, as the Argentine suffered an emotional breakdown after the heart-breaking defeat, nine years after he became the US Open winner. “It’s not easy to speak right now, but I am so happy to play in the final against this magnificent player. I’m sad to lose but happy for Novak. I never gave up during my wrist problems. I got back after nine years, which is amazing,” said Del Potro.Djokovic’s win means that the ‘Big Four’ of Nadal, Federer, Andy Murray and Djokovic have bagged 50 out of 55 major titles.ALSO READ: Paris: Seven people left wounded in knife attack, assailant arrestedThe main reason behind Djokovic’s victory was the way he won the lung-busting rallies.Leading Grand Slam title winners:20: Roger Federer17: Rafael Nadal14: Pete Sampras, Novak Djokovic12: Roy Emerson11: Bjorn Borg, Rod Laver last_img read more

Update on the latest in sports:

first_imgThe club says players will have the option to start practicing at the team’s training center after the Spanish government decided to ease some of its lockdown measures. Non-essential workers will be allowed to return to their positions this week while observing social-distancing guidelines and other restrictions.In other developments related to the coronavirus pandemic:— Former British soccer star Kenny Dalglish has expressed “immense gratitude” to National Health Service staff after returning home from the hospital following his coronavirus diagnosis. The 69-year-old former Celtic, Scotland and Liverpool forward was hospitalized on Wednesday for treatment on gallstones and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19 despite not showing symptoms.— Smaller cities and communities are dealing with the cancellation of showcase sporting events. For Oklahoma City, that means losing the Women’s College World Series. The annual event determines the NCAA softball championship. It has been hosted by Oklahoma City every year but one since 1990. Last year, it brought in an estimated $14 million to the city and its businesses. Even more was expected this year because of a stadium seating expansion.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditMLB-OBIT-BECKERTGlenn Beckert, 4-time All-Star second baseman for Cubs, diesCHICAGO (AP) — Glenn Beckert, a four-time All-Star second baseman for the Chicago Cubs in the 1960s and ’70s, died Sunday. He was 79. Update on the latest in sports: He said, “If you’re not trying to win at all costs, what on earth are you doing there?”Moss was hospitalized with a chest infection in 2016 that led to him retiring from public life in 2018.SPORTS-VIRUS OUTBREAKSpanish soccer team to resume trainingUNDATED (AP) — A Spanish soccer team plans to have its players resume training individually this week. Real Sociedad would become the first Spanish soccer club to resume activities during the coronavirus pandemic. Citing his family, the Cubs said he died of natural causes in Florida.Playing alongside Hall of Famers Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ron Santo and Ferguson Jenkins, Beckert won a Gold Glove in 1968 and made four straight All-Star teams for Chicago starting in 1969. He had the best strikeout-to-at-bat ratio in the National League five times and finished third in average when he hit a career-high .342 in 1971.Beckert batted .283 in 11 seasons with Chicago (1965-73) and the San Diego Padres (1974-75).He is survived by daughters Tracy Seaman and Dana Starck and longtime partner Marybruce Standley.AUTO RACING-OBIT-MOSScenter_img Former Formula One driver Stirling Moss dead at 90LONDON (AP) — Motor racing great Stirling Moss has died at the age of 90.The daring and speed-loving Englishman was widely regarded as the greatest Formula One driver never to win the world championship.Moss’ wife said he died peacefully at his London home following a long illness. Susan Moss says “it was one lap too many. He just closed his eyes.”Moss was affectionately known as “Mr. Motor Racing” and had a fearless and often reckless attitude. That took a toll on his slight body and his career ended at age 31 after a horrific crash. Moss won 16 of the 66 F1 races he entered. Associated Press April 12, 2020last_img read more

Reigning World Champion Stripped of Asian Games Gold

first_imgThe 24-year-old, who clinched the gold medal in the 63kg class at last year’s World Wrestling Championships in Paris, is facing a lengthy ban from the sport.She becomes the second wrestler to be embroiled in a doping case stemming from the 2018 Asian Games.Turkmenistani wrestler Rustem Nazarov, who exited the tournament at the first-round stage, tested positive for furosemide, a masking agent, in a pre-competition urine test.Purevdorj, also the reigning Asian champion who competed for Mongolia at the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, beat Kyrgyzstan’s Aisuluu Tynybekova to secure the Asian Games title.In a statement, the OCA said the Mongolian athlete had been “found to have committed an anti-doping rule violation in an in-competition test conducted on August 20 and has accordingly been disqualified from the 18th Jakarta Palembang Asian Games 2018”.“Her results during the competition held on the 20th August 2018 has been annulled,” the OCA said.The news comes after insidethegames revealed last month that wrestlers accounted for six of the 10 positive doping cases that resulted from the 2017 Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games in Turkmenistan’s capital Ashgabat.Four Mongolian wrestlers also failed drugs test at an event in the country last December.Increasing awareness of anti-doping was said to be a key priority for the OCA at the 2018 Asian Games, where German company Professional Worldwide Controls administered the drugs testing system.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Mongolian reigning world champion Orkhon Purevdorj has been stripped of the gold medal she claimed in the women’s 62 kilogramme event at the Asian Games in Jakarta and Palembang after she tested positive for a banned substance.The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) confirmed Purevdorj had been disqualified as a result of the failed in-competition drugs test.Purevdorj tested positive for anabolic steroid during the Games in the two Indonesian cities, which concluded with the Closing Ceremony last Sunday Orkhon-Purevdorjlast_img read more