This year, preliminary end-of-the-year student room inspections took place in some residence halls the Sunday before the final week of classes. This change is a transition back to the policy of prior years; last year was the only year in which inspections took place during finals week.Karen Kennedy, Director of Housing, said the “change” in procedure is actually a reversion back to the procedure that was observed for more than a decade.“The practice of requiring all student rooms to be inspection-ready by 10 p.m. on the Sunday before the last week of classes has been long standing at the University,” she said. “Last year’s move-out process was handled differently and, because those changes did not produce positive results, it was decided to return to the previous time line for readiness for room inspections.”Kennedy said there are two goals for student rooms to be ready for inspection by Sunday at 10 p.m.“One is to provide for the University to be able to inspect rooms for critical repairs that must be made as soon as students move out, and the other is to confine the noises associated with furniture moving and assembling/disassembling prior to the start of study days and finals,” she said.Kennedy said the procedure benefits students as they study and rest for finals.The transition back to the old policy is a direct result of the negative feedback and logistical issues created from the change last year, Kennedy said.“We received feedback from both students and hall staff that the procedures implemented last year provided for additional noise throughout finals week and also made room inspections more challenging, resulting in untimely damage billing charges and other challenges in preparing the halls for Commencement and summer guests,” Kennedy said.Kennedy said students who fail to comply with move-out procedures may be subject to a fine.“These fines help ensure compliance and, when applicable, cover the costs of repairs, undue cleaning and lost keys,” Kennedy said.Kennedy said elevated beds, which are permitted to be constructed in residence halls without modular furniture, have been required to be down by 10 p.m. the Sunday before the last week of classes for at least a decade.“Students who choose to construct elevated beds are notified of and agree to this when they sign the elevated agreement form at the beginning of the year,” Kennedy said.Kennedy said this procedures are always being revised according to feedback received from individuals throughout the Notre Dame community.“I understand and appreciate the concerns shared with me by students, and will take student feedback into consideration when looking toward how move-out and room inspections will be handled in future years,” Kennedy said.Tags: Housing, move-out, Office of Housing
Shohei Ohtani, who is on the ballot as a designated hitter, is in third place. Although Ohtani is now almost certainly unable to play because of a grade 2 sprain of his ulnar collateral ligament, there was some speculation that he could be voted into the game anyway because of his popularity and support from Japan.Online voting continues through July 5. All-Star rosters are typically announced two Sundays before the game, which would be July 8, although the announcement is not set this year.Sign up for Home Turf and get 3 exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error SEATTLE — Mike Trout, who has been selected to the All-Star Game in all six of his previous full seasons, is second in voting among American League outfielders, according to the first results, which were released on Tuesday.Trout has 639,822 votes, which is second to Mookie Betts (748,872). Aaron Judge is third, with the top three vote-getters starting the game, which will be July 17 in Washington.Trout is hitting .304 with 21 homers and a 1.094 OPS. He leads the majors with a WAR of 5.2, according to FanGraphs, which has him on pace for one of the best seasons in major league history. Trout has played in five All-Star Games and won the game’s MVP twice. He was selected for the team last year but missed the game with a thumb injury.First baseman Albert Pujols (fourth), shortstop Andrelton Simmons (fifth) and catcher Martín Maldonado (fifth) were also among the top five at their positions. Simmons is currently out with a sprained ankle, but he is expected back by the All-Star Game.
Former Steelers linebacker James Harrison was one of many people in the Twitterverse to accuse Garrett of assault late Thursday, after Garrett’s helmet swing landed on top of Rudolph’s head. Rudolph, who suffered a concussion in Week 5, did not appear to be injured by Garrett.The NFL on Friday suspended Garrett indefinitely and fined him an undisclosed amount. The league also reportedly fined Rudolph, although it has not announced that punishment. Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey (three games) and Browns lineman Larry Ogunjobi (one game) were also suspended for their roles in the brawl that Garrett and Rudolph sparked. The Browns and Steelers were each fined $250,000.The Twitterverse was upset that Rudolph wasn’t also suspended. It appears Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph will not take Browns defensive end Myles Garrett to court after Garrett took Rudolph’s helmet off his head and hit Rudolph with it in the closing seconds of their game Thursday night.Ian Rapoport of NFL Network tweeted Friday night that Rudolph considers the incident “to be exclusively an NFL matter” and thus will not take legal action against Garrett. MORE COVERAGE:AFC North culture must change | Timeline of recent incidentsPouncey lost the high ground | Garrett damaged future