Office of housing returns to old move-out inspection policy

first_imgThis year, preliminary end-of-the-year student room inspections took place in some residence halls the Sunday before the final week of classes. This change is a transition back to the policy of prior years; last year was the only year in which inspections took place during finals week.Karen Kennedy, Director of Housing, said the “change” in procedure is actually a reversion back to the procedure that was observed for more than a decade.“The practice of requiring all student rooms to be inspection-ready by 10 p.m. on the Sunday before the last week of classes has been long standing at the University,” she said. “Last year’s move-out process was handled differently and, because those changes did not produce positive results, it was decided to return to the previous time line for readiness for room inspections.”Kennedy said there are two goals for student rooms to be ready for inspection by Sunday at 10 p.m.“One is to provide for the University to be able to inspect rooms for critical repairs that must be made as soon as students move out, and the other is to confine the noises associated with furniture moving and assembling/disassembling prior to the start of study days and finals,” she said.Kennedy said the procedure benefits students as they study and rest for finals.The transition back to the old policy is a direct result of the negative feedback and logistical issues created from the change last year, Kennedy said.“We received feedback from both students and hall staff that the procedures implemented last year provided for additional noise throughout finals week and also made room inspections more challenging, resulting in untimely damage billing charges and other challenges in preparing the halls for Commencement and summer guests,” Kennedy said.Kennedy said students who fail to comply with move-out procedures may be subject to a fine.“These fines help ensure compliance and, when applicable, cover the costs of repairs, undue cleaning and lost keys,” Kennedy said.Kennedy said elevated beds, which are permitted to be constructed in residence halls without modular furniture, have been required to be down by 10 p.m. the Sunday before the last week of classes for at least a decade.“Students who choose to construct elevated beds are notified of and agree to this when they sign the elevated agreement form at the beginning of the year,” Kennedy said.Kennedy said this procedures are always being revised according to feedback received from individuals throughout the Notre Dame community.“I understand and appreciate the concerns shared with me by students, and will take student feedback into consideration when looking toward how move-out and room inspections will be handled in future years,” Kennedy said.Tags: Housing, move-out, Office of Housinglast_img read more

Two more area COVID-19 deaths — 50 new cases reported

first_imgDES MOINES — Two more deaths from COVID-19 have been reported in our immediate listening area. In the 24-hour period ending at 11 o’clock this morning, one more death had been reported on the Iowa Department of Public Health’s website in Cerro Gordo County, while Franklin County is reporting its first death. That brings the area’s death total since the start of the pandemic to 21 — 13 in Cerro Gordo; two each in Butler, Floyd and Hancock; and single deaths in Franklin and Wright. 50 new COVID-19 cases have been reported in our listening area in the same 24-hour period — 18 in Cerro Gordo; 10 in Franklin; seven in Hancock; five in Worth; three each in Butler and Kossuth; two in Winnebago; and single new cases in Mitchell and Wright. That brings the area total since the start of the pandemic to 1522 — 453 in Cerro Gordo; 417 in Wright; 145 in Franklin; 94 in Floyd; 84 each in Butler and Hancock; 71 in Kossuth; 68 in Mitchell; 60 in Winnebago; and 46 in Worth. 711 of those 1522 cases have been identified since July 1st, or almost 47%. 21 more cases have been listed as recovered in our area — five in Wright; four each in Cerro Gordo and Franklin; three in Mitchell; and single cases in Butler, Hancock and Winnebago — to make for a total of 834 recovered, or 55%.Looking at the statewide numbers in the 24-hour period leading up to 11 o’clock this morning — six more deaths were reported for a total now of 799; 503 more cases were identified to bring the total to 39,420; 347 more people have recovered for a total of 28,319. Wright4171 Mitchell Confirmed CasesNew Cases Hancock2 Butler843 Winnebago Worth10 Kossuth Floyd2 Cerro Gordo131 Mitchell443 Area Total212 Winnebago261 July Total711 Franklin11 Worth Floyd94 Wright1 Kossuth713center_img Mitchell681 Cerro Gordo1074 Wright3525 Franklin14510 Butler651 Hancock847 RecoveredNew Recovered Winnebago602 Cerro Gordo45318 Worth465 Franklin744 Hancock581 Butler2 Kossuth322 Floyd66 DeathsNew Area Total152250 Area Total83421last_img read more