The office of the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh has so far issued notices to 161 candidates who had allegedly paid for the publication of ‘favourable’ news in various media outlets in the run-up to the Assembly polls in Madhya Pradesh.“161 notifications have been issued by the Returning Officers to various candidates in suspected paid news cases in the State during the Vidhan Sabha election. Fifteen candidates have admitted to the news mentioned in the notifications issued by the Returning Officer being paid news and accepted the addition of the amount to their election expenditure,” said Joint Chief Electoral Officer Rajesh Kaul.Poll expenditure Mr. Kaul said the district-level media certification and monitoring committees have recommended that the paid news amount be added to the candidate’s election expenditure in as many as 146 cases so far.Six appeals against recommendations made by the district-level committees of Ujjain and Betul had been received by the State-level committee, a poll official said. The State committee upheld the recommendation of the district body after hearing the appeals.Regional publicationsA major chunk of complaints on paid news were against vernacular and regional media publications, the official added.Assembly elections were held in all 230 constituencies of the State on November 28, and the counting of votes will take place on December 11. The Congress is in a direct face-off with the BJP, which has been in power for the past 15 years.
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño After Broner bout and one more fight, Jinkee Pacquiao wants Manny to retire SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LATEST STORIES Alvarez ready to take risk vs Folayang, looks to end clash by ‘knockout or submission’ PLAY LIST 02:18Alvarez ready to take risk vs Folayang, looks to end clash by ‘knockout or submission’00:50Trending Articles02:03MMA legends gather in Tokyo for historic ONE: New Era fight week02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss The Grand Prix will feature the top eight lightweights with the winner challenging the champion.Folayang is the current lightweight king but is scheduled for a title defense in a rematch with Japanese legend Shinya Aoki on March 31 in Japan.Beating Aoki again will then pit Folayang against whoever emerges the victor in the Grand Prix, which many believe will be Alvarez.The 34-year-old Folayang has three fighters in mind who have the upper hand in the Grand Prix.“Eddie Alvarez, Lowen Tynanes and Saygid Guseyn Arslanaliev are probably the top three favorites to win the tournament,” he shared.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue “I have my sights on Eddie Alvarez,” Folayang revealed. “He is a multiple-time world champion, and I want to test myself against him. It’s my dream fight.”A two-time lightweight champion, Folayang has little to prove but he is always aching for a stiff challenge.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsBut there are a lot of moving pieces that would need to fall into place first before Folayang sets up a showdown with Alvarez.The 35-year-old Alvarez will make his ONE debut in the Lightweight World Grand Prix, which gets going on January 25 in Manila. Eduard Folayang. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netEduard Folayang made it a fact that he has his eyes locked in on decorated champion Eddie Alvarez, who is one of the biggest names in combat sports.Alvarez, who is a former UFC and Bellator lightweight champion, just signed with ONE Championship three months ago.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion “When it comes to experience, Alvarez has the biggest advantage. Youth is on the side of Tynanes and Dagi.”But nothing’s guaranteed.As great as Alvarez is in his craft, it only takes a single blow or one wrong move to be the difference from winning and losing.“The ONE Lightweight World Grand Prix is a great test to find out who’s the worthy challenger to the champion. Each competitor has their own style and talent. Only the best will emerge out of this tournament,” Folayang said.Folayang also has an ideal scenario in mind with his Team Lakay teammate Honorio Banario competing in the Grand Prix as well.“Honorio Banario has his sights on winning the Grand Prix as well,” he said. “I am not thinking of fighting my teammate, but the idea of him being the tournament champion and me being the lightweight champion is the best possible scenario for our team.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola?