The time(s) Duane Kuiper trolled Frank Robinson and lived to tell the story

first_imgYou may have noticed a theme running through the various Frank Robinson appreciations populating the great wide ether: You had to give as well as you got when interacting with him.Even if I had been aware of this axiom, I doubt I would have acted on it. I first starting covering baseball in 1981, Robinson’s first season as manager of the Giants. I wasn’t quite 25 years old. Robinson scared the life out me.Duane Kuiper? Different story.Kuiper was in his second season with the Cleveland …last_img read more

Kai Sotto raring to learn from Gilas seniors

first_imgSotto hopes that he can get a chance to attend more of these Gilas practices, granting that he’s free from his school assignments and obligations with the Ateneo Blue Eaglets.“I can join here if we don’t have an exam or we don’t have a game the following day. I’m just really happy and excited to attend these sessions,” he said. Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Kai Sotto. PBA IMAGESKai Sotto, pegged as the future of Gilas Pilipinas, is just humbled by the opportunity given to him by coach Chot Reyes to train with the national team.But the 7-foot center doesn’t want to feel pressured after being touted as one of the cornerstones for the 2023 Fiba World Cup.ADVERTISEMENT Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Zark’s-Lyceum gets act together, staves off Akari-Adamson Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Read Next View comments 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting “I just want to focus on what I’m doing. I don’t want to think about the pressure,” said Sotto on Monday after attending his first Gilas Pilipinas practice as a “23-for-23” cadet.The 15-year-old Sotto had his first chance to bang bodies with his contemporaries as he went to scrimmage with the likes of June Mar Fajardo, Japeth Aguilar, and Calvin Abueva.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutAnd it didn’t take long for him to learn his first lessons from the current Gilas pool members.“If you’re playing basketball everyday, you’ll know what’s happening on the court. I think all of us players can learn here. I try to reach out to the seniors because I want to learn from them,” he said.center_img Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH MOST READ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa LATEST STORIES NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencerslast_img read more

Jayson Castro on alleged missed travel call: ‘That’s referees’ job’

first_imgCastro, though, may have gotten away with just a little more than a quick inside pass as video replays showed he lifted his pivot foot when he made the pass to Rosario which should’ve been a travel call, but no whistles were blown and the KaTropa went on to claim an 80-75 win over the Hotshots in the PBA Philippine Cup.As for the alleged travel, Castro said it’s not his responsibility to count anyone’s steps.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption charges“That’s not my job anymore, that’s the referees’ job,” said Castro in Filipino Sunday at Mall of Asia Arena.Castro’s wits and Roger Pogoy’s overtime heroics saw the KaTropa get to a 3-3 record and take sole possession of the fourth seed, something that the team would hold dear ahead of their three-week break. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting “This is a big win for us, and at least before we go on a break we got this confidence-booster of a win,” said Castro who finished with 24 points, four rebounds, five assists, and two blocks.Pogoy was able to rescue TNT in the overtime period hitting two clutch baskets that gave his team a 79-74 lead with 29.9 seconds to play.The timely baskets the third-year guard didn’t go unnoticed with Castro showing praise to his younger teammate.“I kept telling him that this is his time to shine finally,” said the 32-year-old Castro of Pogoy who’s six years his junior. “There were times before that he’d be scared to take the ball, but in the dying seconds of the game I told him to take the shot.”“He made it and he was able to read the defense.”ADVERTISEMENT View comments LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Jayson Castro. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—TNT’s overtime win against Magnolia wouldn’t have happened if not for the quick thinking of Jayson Castro at the end of regulation.With defenders swarming him at the top of the key, Castro had the wherewithal to hold his jump and instead pass to the open Troy Rosario in the pain that tied the game at 72 apiece with 1.8 seconds left in regulation.ADVERTISEMENT US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextcenter_img MOST READ PBA takes two-week break to give way to Gilas Fiba qualifying games ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusationslast_img read more

World Tour Finals: Andy Murray beats Kei Nishikori in thriller

first_imgAndy Murray has already scaled the tennis summit but Japan’s Kei Nishikori did his best to loosen his footing before falling in a three-hour thriller at the ATP World Tour Finals on Wednesday.Home favourite Murray’s insatiable will power allowed him to prevail in a brutal encounter 6-7(9) 6-4 6-4, keeping him on course for his first title at the year-ender.Should he achieve that in his eighth attempt it would guarantee the 29-year-old end the year as world number one ahead of Novak Djokovic who would steal back the crown if he manages a fifth straight title at the O2 Arena.The path will be a rocky one though if Wednesday’s cliffhanger — the longest match in the event’s seven-year residence in London — is anything to go by.Misfiring Murray looked in trouble when Nishikori edged a 20-point tiebreak to win an 85-minute opening set.But he clawed his way back to claim a 21st consecutive victory in three hours and 20 minutes.It avenged his five-set defeat at the hands of Nishikori in the U.S. Open quarter-finals — from which he has since embarked on the run that snapped Djokovic’s 122-week hold on power.”I wasn’t able to dictate many of the points,” Murray said. “More so in the third set. But not in the first couple. I was having to run, fight, get as many balls back as I could.”I eventually got over the line. These are the sort of matches you work so hard for.”advertisementWith two wins from two, Murray would have been assured a semi-final berth had Marin Cilic beaten Stan Wawrinka in the later group match but Wawrinka recovered from his drubbing by Nishikori to win 7-6(3) 7-6(3).Murray will now face U.S. Open champion Wawrinka on Friday knowing anything but a straight-sets defeat would suffice.”Hopefully there will be another three days to this season and I’ll do my best to get through them,” Murray said.last_img read more

Construction Loan Limit for NHT Serviced Lots Increased

first_imgStory Highlights The new limit will now be calculated as the difference in price of the NHT’s two-bedroom unit in the scheme where the lot is located and the price of the lot. Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, says that the loan limit for construction on National Housing Trust (NHT) serviced lots has been increased. Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, says that the loan limit for construction on National Housing Trust (NHT) serviced lots has been increased.The new limit will now be calculated as the difference in price of the NHT’s two-bedroom unit in the scheme where the lot is located and the price of the lot.“The limit on this loan will remain at two times the individual’s loan limit less the mortgage on the lot in cases of co-application by two NHT contributors,” the Prime Minister said while making his contribution to the 2019/20 Budget Debate in the House of Representatives on March 19.He noted that, previously, the construction loan limit was between $2 million and $2.5 million – the difference between the price of the serviced lot and the NHT loan limit – which was deemed insufficient.“The data collected from the surveys conducted by the Trust on the Serviced Lot Programme, revealed that approximately 65 per cent of the recipients of this product type opined that the amount allowed by the NHT for the construction of a unit on the lot is inadequate,” he said.To encourage uptake of this loan type, Mr. Holness said that the NHT will apply the necessary moratorium to facilitate ease of paying rent while enabling persons to simultaneously service their mortgage.“However, recipients will be expected to begin building within three years of the loan being disbursed. Failure to commence construction will result in the lot reverting to the NHT,” Mr. Holness advised.With the new arrangement, the Prime Minister noted that a person who purchases a serviced lot “now has a greater capacity to actually start construction”. “The limit on this loan will remain at two times the individual’s loan limit less the mortgage on the lot in cases of co-application by two NHT contributors,” the Prime Minister said while making his contribution to the 2019/20 Budget Debate in the House of Representatives on March 19. last_img read more

Gov’t Expanding Reduced Waiting Time Initiative in Health Facilities

Health Minister, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, says the Reduced Waiting Time Initiative that was implemented last year in 15 health facilities islandwide, will be expanded during the 2018/19 fiscal year, after recording positive results in those institutions.Speaking in the 2018/19 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on Tuesday (June 5), Dr. Tufton said the Government remains committed to reducing the waiting period for patients accessing services at health institutions islandwide.“Our Reduced Waiting Time Initiative was successfully implemented in seven hospitals and eight health centres in year one. The extended hours in the eight health centres (in particular) have resulted in a 41 per cent increase in visits, with about 20 per cent of overall visits during the extended hours,” he noted.The Minister advised that the initiative will be expanded to four additional hospitals and four health centres, moving the total to 23.Meanwhile, Dr. Tufton said the Compassionate Care Programme, which was launched during the 2017/18 fiscal year, has also been a success.“The Victoria Jubilee Hospital Outpatient Antenatal Clinic was upgraded and is now fully refurbished with sectionalised assessment booths to allow for privacy while patients are being assessed and counselled,” he indicated.Dr. Tufton also pointed out that the environment “now promotes positive health behaviour through the various health messages”.“We have also developed the Compassionate Care and Volunteer Policy to provide guidelines to institutionalise the volunteerism programme in the public healthcare system,” he further stated. “Our Reduced Waiting Time Initiative was successfully implemented in seven hospitals and eight health centres in year one. The extended hours in the eight health centres (in particular) have resulted in a 41 per cent increase in visits, with about 20 per cent of overall visits during the extended hours,” he noted. Speaking in the 2018/19 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on Tuesday (June 5), Dr. Tufton said the Government remains committed to reducing the waiting period for patients accessing services at health institutions islandwide. Story Highlights Health Minister, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, says the Reduced Waiting Time Initiative that was implemented last year in 15 health facilities islandwide, will be expanded during the 2018/19 fiscal year, after recording positive results in those institutions. read more

Norfolk State Rewards NCAA BracketBusting Coach

Norfolk State’s Anthony Evans earned a raise.The most talked-about story of 2012 March Madness was historically black Norfolk State University, a 15th seed, knocking off No. 2-seed Missouri, 86-84  in the first round of the tournament. The Spartans from Norfolk, Virginia were on the minds of all college basketball fans around the country.This week, the school rewarded the orchestrator of the MEAC champions. Coach Anthony Evans received a thre-year contract extension will take him through the 2016-17 season, according to NSU athletic director Marty Miller.Evans led the Spartans to a school-record 26 wins, the MEAC Tournament championship and the huge NCAA Tournament win, the first in Norfolk State history.Evans, who is 78-82 record in his five seasons at Norfolk State, also received a $50,000 raise to $175,000. His contract was to expire after the 2013-14 season.After beating Mizzou, NSU lost, 84-50, to Florida in the next round. read more

Chandina road crash kills 2 women

first_imgTwo women were killed as a pick-up van hit an auto-rickshaw at Chandina upazila of Dhaka-Chattagram highway on Thursday morning, reports UNB.The identity of the deceased could not be known immediately.Witnesses said the auto-rickshaw suddenly came in front of the pick-up van as it was trying to escape from the patrolling police in the area.Additional policemen were patrolling on the road as road transport and bridges minister Obaidul Quader was scheduled to visit Cumilla today.The accident left one dead on the spot and another seriously injured.The injured woman succumbed to her injuries after being rushed to Chandina Upazila Health Complex.After the incident, agitated locals blocked the road near Palki Cinema Hall of Chandina of the Dhaka- Chattogram highway for an hour around 12 noon.Superintendent of police (SP) of Cumilla, Shah Md Abid Hossain confirmed the matter and said, “The three-wheeler was completely forbidden on the highway.”He also said action will be taken against those who blocked the highways.last_img read more