Jose Mourinho has accepted a 12-month prison sentence and a fine of close to €2.2 million after admitting to tax fraud in Madrid – but will not serve time in jail.The 56-year-old was accused of evading paying in the region of €3.3m in taxes on image rights while he was head coach of Real Madrid. The Portuguese will not spend any time in prison as the sentence is for less than two years.In 2016, Mourinho’s representatives Gestifute released a statement insisting he was “fully compliant with tax obligations” after allegations of tax evasion first came to light via the whistleblowing platform ‘Football Leaks’’However, he struck a deal with Spanish prosecutors last year, which was ratified at a court on Tuesday.Mourinho was in charge of Madrid from 2010 until the end of the 2012-13 season. The offences were alleged to have been committed between 2011 and 2012. It was reported last September that he had agreed to accept a one-year prison sentence and fine in order to bring the legal proceedings to an end.Speaking to reporters outside court in Pozuelo de Alarcon in November 2017, he said: “I did not answer, I did not argue. I paid and signed with the state that I am in compliance and the case is closed.”A number of prominent figures in football, including former Madrid striker Cristiano Ronaldo, his ex-team-mate Marcelo and Barcelona forward Lionel Messi, have been punished for tax offences in the last two years.
Image Courtesy: CA/ICCAdvertisement 1mhibdNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs6d1mdhWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Ej03( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 65fWould you ever consider trying this?😱9y6tkCan your students do this? 🌚9Roller skating! Powered by Firework Not even a month ago, Australia hosted the 2020 ICC WOmen’s T20 World Cup, where they successfully defended the title against the Indian Women’s cricket team in the final. Whilst gearing up for the Men’s T20 World Cup again later this year- the Aussies have come up with a big hurdle- the Coronavirus pandemic. The global outbreak of the COVID-19 virus has caused several major sports tournaments go get cancelled or postponed. However, Cricket Australia, the governing body of the sport in the country, is primarily hopeful on successfully conducting the T20 World Cup.Advertisement Image Courtesy: CA/ICCIt was only a couple of days ago when ICC themselves gave green signal on the Men’s T20WC. In a recent statement, ICC disclosed that there are no change of plans as of now, and the tournament will go ahead as planned.“The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup is scheduled to take place from October 18 – November 15 2020 in seven venues across Australia. We are planning for the event to go ahead as scheduled,” the statement read.Advertisement There has been 438 confirmed Coronavirus cases in Australia in total, and five of the patients have died. Amidst the worrying situation in the country, the ongoing ODI series between Australia and New Zealand was cancelled after the hosts won the first match at the Sydney Cricket Ground. Additionally, all further fixtures of cricket int the season was suspended.However, there has been no update on the upcoming cricket world cup, and on the heels of ICC’s confirmation, Cricket Australia themselves have shown confidence to conduct the tournament as planned, as CA’s chief Kevin Roberts said in an interview on Tuesday.Advertisement “We’re really hoping that all forms of sport can be played again in a few weeks’ or a few months’ time. None of us are experts in this situation obviously, so our hope is that we’re back in very much normal circumstances come October and November when the men’s T20 World Cup is to be played,” Roberts told reporters.“And at this stage we’re planning on November 15, to have a full house at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) to inspire the world through men’s cricket as the women’s cricketers did here just last week,” the CA chief added.The seventh edition of the Men’s T20 World CUup will start with Sri Lanka vs Ireland and papua New Guinea vs Oman at the Kardinia Park stadium in Victoria on October 18th 2020.Also read-Sachin compared fight against Coronavirus to Test cricket in plea to publicDespite Coronavirus, here are the sports leagues still going on! Advertisement
Of course, Walton and Wiest were involved in that blockbuster trade last month between Castlegar and Fernie that saw the two star players switch teams mid season. Sookro leads the Hawks in scoring with 20 goals and 22 assists.There is one player each from Spokane Braves and Grand Forks Border Bruins.The Rebels have two players on the Kootenay Prospects Team. Forwards Jamie Vlanich and Diego Bartlett will make the trek along with Ryan Edwards and Dallas Calvin of Beaver Valley.Vlanich was also part of the Castlegar/Fernie deal that sent Walton to the Eddie Mountain powerhouse.Desert Dogs lead All Star selections with eightThe Osoyoos Coyotes have no less than eight players heading to Fernie. The expansion club, that looks more like a seasoned crew, leads the entire KIJHL with a 29-2-2 record.Defending KIJHL champion Revelstoke Grizzlies is second, three points behind the Desert Dogs. firstname.lastname@example.org By The Nelson Daily SportsIt’s a rather small contingent of Nelson Leafs that heads to Fernie next month to attend the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League All Star weekend.Five players, including two veterans, made the grade to play in the All Star and Prospects games in January.Headlining the list is the Leafs’ leading scorer, Gavin Currie. Currie, 20, has been the most consistent player on the Green and White this season, leading Nelson in scoring with 16 goals and 26 assists for 42 points.Many of those points have come in the last few months before the Christmas break as the Abbotsford native has points in 15 of the last 19 games.It’s the second trip to the All Star contest for Currie.Taylor O’Neil also slated to play in the All Star Classic. The Kelowna native has been Mr. Rock Solid for the Leafs on the blueline. Nelson’s captain has played all 32 games for Nelson, amassing three goals and nine assists to go with 188 minutes in penalties.Three rookies earn the opportunity to play in the Prospects’ Game.Goalie Darren Hogg and forwards Cameron Dobransky and Connor Enright caught the eye of the All Star committee.Hogg has shared the crease with teammate Marcus Beesley and leads the Leafs with a solid 2.88 goals against average in 14 games. Nine of those games have been wins for the Penticton native.Dobransky and Enright have been key contributors to the Leaf success this season with 13 and 11 points, respectively.The KIJHL All Star weekend goes January 14-15 in Fernie.Friday is the Prospects Game while the All Star Classic is scheduled for Saturday. Prior to the All Star contest the players and coaches will be treated to a banquet.Five Riders play before home crowd in FernieThe Fernie Ghostriders lead the Kootenay Conference in selections to the All Star Game with five players.Netminders Andrew Walton and Fraser Abdallah join forwards Thomas Abenante, Scott Morriseau and Jeff Zmurchyk on the Kootenay Conference squad.Three players from the Castlegar Rebels — Darren Tarasoff, Mike Wiest and Taylor Anderson — join two from Beaver Valley — Nelson Minor Hockey grad Ryon Sookro and Derek Lashuk.