Residents urged to kick up a stink at public meeting

first_imgResidents in South Inishowen are being urged to attend a public meeting on Thursday to voice their opinions over the ongoing stench coming from the Grianan Estate.Concern has been raised in recent weeks over the continued spreading of digestate in the 2,500-acre area with home and business owners suffering as a result.It is understood that hundreds of homes in the area have been affected by the smell and resident have decided to take matters into their own hands by calling a meeting in Burt Hall on Thursday at 8pm. Inishowen councillor, Jack Murray said the current situation was far from acceptable and that it was about time the spreading of digestate in the area was stopped completely.He told Donegal Daily: “I think the people in South Inishowen have really reached the end of their tether because the spreading had only stopped at the weekend temporarily for a funeral.“What these people are forced to endure is disgraceful, to say the least,” he added.“I had a woman on to be this morning who has cancer and is currently receiving treatment and she said once that smell returns she has no appetite and she feels much sicker. “I’ve had another resident, who is a parent and has a child with lung problems, and they can’t let their child outside to play, they are locking their windows and doors and it is still getting through to the house and that child is feeling ill.“It much more than an inconvenience at this stage, it is affecting peoples lives.”Murray said the current aim was to stop the smell in the region completely, with the Finn Valley company having applied for machinery that would turn the digestate into pellets – eliminating the smell.The Inishowen councillor continued: “I think the companies current plans will be a solution but I think at the moment they just need to stop spreading.“I think the people in that area need that commitment. I understand that they have a solution and that is great but, at the minute, this is affecting peoples lives.” The Sinn Fein councillor has urged residents to attend the meeting on Thursday and make their views known on the matter.“There are hundreds of families that have been affected by this and I think people need to come out and voice their anger.“I have been bombarded with people contacting me and I would encourage them to come out and voice their frustration with this issue, it must be stopped at this stage.”Residents urged to kick up a stink at public meeting was last modified: July 10th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Rugby steps up transformation drive

first_imgThe Vodacom Cup has been contested on an annual basis since 1998 and is an inter-provincial competition for all 14 South African unions. Jurie Roux, the CEO of Saru, said that no sanctions had been specified, should a province fail to select the required numbers of black players. He said the question and other operational matters around the policy would be addressed by the Games and Policy committee. Hoskins said Saru had taken the initiative, rather than wait for other agencies to force action. “The Vodacom Cup is a critical step on the development pathway in professional rugby, but it had moved away from its primary purpose of presenting opportunities for young emerging players, particularly black players. “All the 14 provinces recognised that fact and that we needed to address it as a strategic objective at our Transformation Indaba last year. That and other decisions were shared with the Department of Sports and Recreation, as well as the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee. ‘We needed to intervene’“The mood of the organisation is that we needed to intervene – and this was coming from the provinces as well – to see the graph of black player representation begin to rise,” he said. SAinfo reporter and SA Rugby ‘Tangible step’“This is rugby’s tangible step on delivering on that pledge,” he said. “The intended outcome is an increased pool of black talent from which Absa Currie Cup and Vodacom Super Rugby coaches can select and, in due course, more options for the Springbok coach.”center_img 15 August 2013 The South African Rugby Union (Saru) has stepped up its transformation drive, announcing compulsory targets for next season’s Vodacom Cup competition that will require a minimum of seven black players in each of the country’s provincial teams. The directive, released on Wednesday, also says that at least of those players must be in the starting 15, and at least two of the players must be forwards. The initiative was taken by the executive council of Saru on Monday and discussed with provincial unions on Tuesday. The numbers were determined in line with Saru’s global transformation strategy and after a review of historical levels of black representation in the competition. The tournament runs from March to April and, since its introduction, has been the competition in which virtually the majority of Springboks have made their senior provincial debut. ‘Commitment to transformation’“This decision to introduce measurable targets underlines Saru’s commitment to transformation,” Saru president Oregan Hoskins said in a statement. last_img read more

Jayson Castro on alleged missed travel call: ‘That’s referees’ job’

first_imgCastro, though, may have gotten away with just a little more than a quick inside pass as video replays showed he lifted his pivot foot when he made the pass to Rosario which should’ve been a travel call, but no whistles were blown and the KaTropa went on to claim an 80-75 win over the Hotshots in the PBA Philippine Cup.As for the alleged travel, Castro said it’s not his responsibility to count anyone’s steps.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption charges“That’s not my job anymore, that’s the referees’ job,” said Castro in Filipino Sunday at Mall of Asia Arena.Castro’s wits and Roger Pogoy’s overtime heroics saw the KaTropa get to a 3-3 record and take sole possession of the fourth seed, something that the team would hold dear ahead of their three-week break. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting “This is a big win for us, and at least before we go on a break we got this confidence-booster of a win,” said Castro who finished with 24 points, four rebounds, five assists, and two blocks.Pogoy was able to rescue TNT in the overtime period hitting two clutch baskets that gave his team a 79-74 lead with 29.9 seconds to play.The timely baskets the third-year guard didn’t go unnoticed with Castro showing praise to his younger teammate.“I kept telling him that this is his time to shine finally,” said the 32-year-old Castro of Pogoy who’s six years his junior. “There were times before that he’d be scared to take the ball, but in the dying seconds of the game I told him to take the shot.”“He made it and he was able to read the defense.”ADVERTISEMENT View comments LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Jayson Castro. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—TNT’s overtime win against Magnolia wouldn’t have happened if not for the quick thinking of Jayson Castro at the end of regulation.With defenders swarming him at the top of the key, Castro had the wherewithal to hold his jump and instead pass to the open Troy Rosario in the pain that tied the game at 72 apiece with 1.8 seconds left in regulation.ADVERTISEMENT US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextcenter_img MOST READ PBA takes two-week break to give way to Gilas Fiba qualifying games ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusationslast_img read more