Donegal families to welcome Chernobyl children next week

first_imgFamilies from across Donegal will welcome children who have been affected by the Chernobyl disaster to the county next week. A group of 11 children – seven of which will travel to Inishowen – will arrive in the north-west from Belarus and Ukraine on Wednesday (June 26) to experience what it is like to live in Ireland.More than 30 years ago the Chernobyl nuclear disaster launched a radioactive cloud across much of Europe. The catastrophe has once again been played out on our television screens, in a drama being rated one of the best shows of all time. The children are staying with host families for four weeks and it is estimated that the cleaner air prolongs the children’s lives by up to two years.During this time, they will have a full programme of activities and will visit local attractions.In 1986, the fourth reactor at the Chernobyl Nuclear Plant, which is located 12km south of the Belarusian border, exploded.To this day, large numbers of people in Belarus live in contaminated areas which has no access to clean food. It is estimated it will take up to 400 years to rid Belarus of contamination many children exposed to the have damaged immune systems.In 1988, 83 children were revealed to have thyroid gland problems. In 1989 the number was 807, and in 1990 it had risen to 9,924.More than €12,000 in donations have been made during the screening of the harrowing HBO and Sky Atlantic series in recent weeks.Chernobyl Children International’s (CCI) founder and voluntary CEO, Adi Roche welcomed the spike in donations but said the charity is down significantly on its 2019 budget.She said: “We are a long way from where we need to be. We hope the success of the series will translate into increased donations. But we have been at this for 30 years. “This disaster fades from the headlines, and from the memories of ordinary people but this series has quietly taken the world by storm.“It has revealed the truth, it tells the inconvenient truth and honours the stories of those involved,” Roche added.“It manages to get behind what really happened in a digestible fashion for people who are not nuclear scientists. With its raw truth-telling, this series has burst the bubble of lies and deception and cover-up.“It has re-inspired us and re-enthused us.” If you would like to host a child next year please contact the Foyle and Inishowen outreach group press office on 0863903030. Donegal families to welcome Chernobyl children next week was last modified: June 21st, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

MTN, Visa launch mobile money offering

first_img25 November 2011 “Mobile technology has become the single most important driver of financial inclusion that is enabling financial institutions, mobile network operators and Visa to connect unbanked consumers to each other and the global economy.” “Reaching consumers who have previously lacked access to formal financial services with secure and reliable electronic payments is finally a reality,” Visa head of products Jim McCarthy said in a statement this week. Developing countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America are among the first target markets for the mobile-based prepaid product. SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material In the last ten years, 100-million people have been newly banked through mobile services that offer consumers basic financial services that are limited in geographic reach. Visa’s acquisition of Fundamo, a leading mobile money platform in developing countries, and its integration into Visa, has created a mobile payment platform that can connect existing mobile money services via the VisaNet global payment network. In markets with Visa acceptance locations, consumers may also have the option to receive a Visa prepaid companion card that can be used at ATMs and merchants where Visa is accepted. From international remittances to e-commerce transactions, Visa’s new product will offer consumers a new payment account that enhances the payment functionality of their existing mobile money service. Regardless of transaction size or where consumers make purchases, Visa and the account issuer will be able to authenticate the account holder at the point of transaction by requesting a PIN or password.center_img As part of the launch, the new product will initially be available to customers in Nigeria and Uganda. The product was developed by a South African company called Fundamo, which was acquired by Visa in June this year for $110-million. MTN chief commercial officer Christian de Faria said the launch of the new product represented a “crucial milestone” in the company’s effort to bring value-added services to its mobile phone users. As of the end of September, MTN had some 5.7-million registered mobile money customers in 12 countries. Pan-African mobile operator MTN has teamed up with financial services group Visa to offer its Mobile Money customers a prepaid account that can be accessed through mobile devices, giving consumers in developing countries a secure, reliable, globally interoperable electronic payment account. Connecting existing services “And as the appetite for mobile technology grows, MTN is excited to be at the forefront of providing millions of our customers with such important product innovations,” he said. The result is a product that allows financial service providers and mobile network operators to offer consumers a payment account that provides Visa’s high standards of security, reliability and global interoperability. Reliable electronic paymentslast_img read more

Promoting Freedom of Expression and African identity through the use of vernacular languages and inspiring a culture of reading

first_imgJohannesburg, Wednesday 23 October 2019 – “If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart,” words once said by the father of the nation, Nelson Mandela.In echoing the sentiments of the former statesman, Brand South Africa and the Deputy Minister in the Presidency, Ms Thembi Siweya are heading to the Eastern Cape, Bizana on Friday, 25 October 2019 to promote freedom of expression and African identity through language, in honour of the late Moses Mtileni, who achieved 3 Masters degrees in African languages.This opportunity also presents Brand South Africa a chance to promote constitutional awareness,  pride and patriotism among South Africans to contribute to social cohesion and nation brand ambassadorship.The activation is a collaboration of various primary schools around Bizana  and will see  grade 3 – 4 learners compete in a reading, spelling bee and storytelling competition all crafted in their mother tongue. We see the late Moses Mtileni as an advocate, not only for African languages, but also for the African identity”, said Brand South Africa’s General Manager for Communications, Ms Thoko Modise.“We look forward to conversing with young people to inspire pride in African identity. It is important that young people are reminded that they have a right to use the language and to practice their culture as enshrined in the South African Constitution.”Language and culture Everyone has the right to use the language and to participate in the cultural life of their choice, but no one exercising these rights may do so in a manner inconsistent with any provision of the Bill of Rights. – The Constitution OF THE REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA, 1996 – CHAPTER 2 BILL OF RIGHTS Media is invited to attend details as follows;Date: 25 October 2019 Venue: Multipurpose Youth Centre, Mbizana Local Municipality, Eastern CapeTime: 08:30 amRSVPS/Enquiries:     Ntombi Ntanzi                             Email: ntombin@brandsouthafrica.com                             Mobile number: 064 890 6819 Brand South Africa will also be able to facilitate any requests for interviews.Follow the conversation on  #PlayYourPartlast_img read more

Show Us Your Best Unlaunched iPhone Apps [Contest]

first_imgRole of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement IPhone app sharing service AppsFire (our review) has announced a contest to highlight the best still-unlaunched iPhone apps under development and ReadWriteWeb will be part of the judging. Called the App Star Awards, the contest will evaluate 30-second videos about apps under development.The iPhone app environment is absurdly overcrowded and hard to navigate – AppsFire is one of my favorite solutions to that problem. The service lets you email links to apps you want to share on your phone. It’s simple but so useful! A contest to start the hype for apps before they get buried in the app store is smart. Below are my favorite iPhone apps right now, shared in an AppsFire widget. I hope this contest will expose me to all kinds of new apps that will eventually land on this list as well. We’ll get to learn about great apps and the app makers will get a small amount of cash and a large amount of publicity. You can register to participate at the page for the AppStar Contest. The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology Tags:#mobile#web marshall kirkpatrickcenter_img What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Related Posts last_img read more

Poipynhun Majaw first RTI activist to be murdered in Meghalaya

first_imgExcommunication from the village or society was the preferred form of punishment for those who used the Right to Information in Meghalaya. Until youth leader Poipynhun Majaw was murder on Tuesday.The police in the State’s East Jaintia Hills district said unknown assailants killed Mr. Majaw by hitting him with a heavy iron object, possibly a wrench, found lying beside his body in Khliehriat, a coal mining hub. They are following a clue – a 125 cc motorcycle found abandoned nearby – to get to his killers.Rights activists in the State said that at least 20 people have been banished from their villages for using the RTI to expose corruption in local governance and utilisation of beneficiary schemes in less than a decade.“Many of those excommunicated are women who dared to go against corrupt local body heads and moved the RTI to find out rations allotted for them were being diverted or ghost workers were awarded MGNREGS (rural job guarantee scheme) work,” Agnes Kharshiing of the Civil Society Women’s Organisation said.On Wednesday, as the police began hunting for the bike owner, some villagers in the adjoining West Jaintia Hills told the authorities they were being hounded by local leaders after getting a reply to their RTI query on the status of MGNREGS in Sankhat, their village.“The RTI reply revealed that area leaders withdrew more money than what the MGNREGS assignment for 11 job card holders of our village could have entailed. We are under tremendous pressure to either take up the matter or leave,” a member of one of 32 households denied work said from Sankhat.Ostracised for using RTI In 2014, the dorbar (governing body) of Umsumbah village in the West Khasi Hills district deprived 11 people of their basic right of seeking information through RTI. The dorbar ‘blacklisted’ them and it needed the intervention of the Block Development Officer to come to a compromise. But the reprieve was temporary, as the ‘dorbar’ allegedly punished the villagers till December last year, cancelling their job cards, denying them access to fair price shops and residential certificates for their children.In 2011, three women – Fatima Mynsong, Acqueline Songthiang and Matilda Suting – were excommunicated by the ‘dorbar’ of Jongsha village, about 30 km from Shillong, after they exercised the RTI to know about utilisation of government funds for the village.The trio, however, fought back and managed to get the village headman, who ordered their exile, removed from his post.In February 2011, a student leader named Bobby Basaiawmoit was asked by the ‘dorbar’ of Mairangbah village to either pay a fine of ₹5,000 for exercising RTI or be banished.“Mr. Majaw’s was the first case of murder of an RTI activist in Meghalaya, where violence was not associated with activism unlike other States such as Assam,” Ms. Kharshiing said.Rights activists believe that Mr. Majaw was killed because of using RTI to expose the unholy nexus between the Jaintia Hills tribal council and cement companies who have been extracting limestone with scant respect for the fragile ecology of the State.“We are yet to find the motive behind Mr. Majaw’s murder, but we hope to get some answers once we find the owner of the bike. The suspected murder weapon has been sent for forensic tests while the autopsy report is expected within a week,” Nazarius Lamare, Superintendent of Police of East Jaintia Hills district, said.last_img read more