O’Brien unleashes bumper duo

first_imgAidan O’Brien saddles his first National Hunt runners in well over eight years as Egyptian Warrior and Shield make their racecourse debuts at Punchestown on Wednesday. The master of Ballydoyle is no stranger to the jumping game, having trained the mighty Istabraq to win many Grade One prizes for owner JP McManus, including three successive victories in the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham. However, the stable’s last runner under National Hunt rules was The Alamo, ridden by Coolmore supremo John Magnier’s son MV, in a bumper at Tipperary in October 2004. Easily the most fascinating of O’Brien’s two runners in the AES Family Saturday At The Festival INH Flat Race is Egyptian Warrior, who will be ridden by his daughter, Sarah. The four-year-old is a full-brother to last season’s Racing Post Trophy scorer and this year’s Derby favourite Kingsbarns. Joseph O’Brien, last season’s Irish champion Flat jockey, revealed Egyptian Warrior has been far more backward than his sibling, but he is looking forward to seeing how he fares on the track. He said: “He’s a fine big horse who has just taken a bit of time to come to himself. I would imagine he’ll be very green as he’s not been away from home before, and it will be interesting to see how he gets on. It’s a good starting point for him and if he runs a nice race we’ll be delighted.” Given his stout breeding, it is no surprise to see some bookmakers quoting Egyptian Warrior in their ante-post betting for next month’s Champion Bumper at Cheltenham, with Stan James offering just 12-1. Were he to impress, Joseph would theoretically be able to take the mount at Prestbury Park, but the level-headed young jockey, who won last year’s 2000 Guineas and Derby aboard Camelot, is refusing to look that far ahead. “Although Cheltenham is only three weeks away, it’s a long way off when you’ve never run before. We’ll just have to see how he goes,” said the jockey. The stable’s second runner Shield, a four-year-old son of Dylan Thomas, will be ridden by Kate Harrington, the daughter of one of Ireland’s leading dual-purpose handlers, Jessica Harrington. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Williams, 4-star receiver commits to Syracuse

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ K.J. Williams has committed to play for Syracuse.The standout receiver announced his decision shortly after 5 p.m. Sunday via his Twitter account.I will be committing too………..— TheWorldsGreatest#2 (@KJWilliams2) July 7, 2013Syracuse University!!!!!AdvertisementThis is placeholder text— TheWorldsGreatest#2 (@KJWilliams2) July 7, 2013Williams’ verbal commitment is the highlight of Syracuse’s recruiting class so far. The 6-foot-2, 188-pound wide receiver from Bethlehem, Pa.,  is ranked four stars by Scout.com and Rivals.com. He chose the Orange despite offers from Michigan, Wisconsin, UCLA, Missouri, Pittsburgh and others.He is the No. 23 receiver in the country, according to Rivals.com. Scout.com slots him at No. 39.Williams and SU commit A.J. Long attended SU’s Spring Game together and Williams went to Long’s workouts at Friendship Christian School in Lebanon, Tenn.Williams is the eighth member of SU’s Class of 2014, and the first receiver. Comments Published on July 7, 2013 at 5:07 pm Contact Jacob: jmklinge@syr.edu | @Jacob_Klinger_last_img read more

Sierra Leone Spent US$1.6M for 3-Day Lockdown

first_imgThe spokesman of the government of Sierra Leone, Mr. Abdulai Bayraytay, said his government is awaiting the scientific report from the committee responsible for the fight against the Ebola pandemic in that country, before a determination is made on the success of the three-day lockdown.In a telephone interview with a Liberian journalist yesterday, Mr. Bayraytay disclosed that the lockdown,  which started last Friday, was welcomed by the majority and that some are even suggesting that it continues.Mr. Bayraytay was, however, quick to point out that any decision by government to carry out a monthly three-day lockdown as suggested by many residents in the country, will depend on the outcome of the scientific report from field workers used during the lockdown.About 30,000 fieldworkers were trained and deployed throughout the country of  over six million people.Mr. Bayraytay disclosed that the amount of US$1.6 Million was used during the lockdown, with the amount of US$700,000.00 from the coffers of the Government of Sierra Leone, while the rest came from friends of the  country and NGOs.During the lockdown, Mr. Bayraytay said over150 people willingly reported to the nearest holding or isolation centre to be tested.The curfew in Sierra Leone came into force on Friday morning, with most of the country’s six million inhabitants confined to their homes.Around 30,000 medical volunteers travelled to affected neighborhoods to find patients and distribute soap.Deputy Chief Medical Officer Sarian Kamara said authorities had managed to discover 22 new cases of the virus during the curfew.”Had they not been discovered, they would have greatly increased transmission,” he said.He also said between 60 and 70 Ebola victims were buried during the three days of the lockdown, and that the authorities had managed to discover 22 new cases of the virus during the curfew.The three-day curfew is the most aggressive measure yet  taken against the virus by a West African country.Sierra Leone has been one of the countries worst affected by the outbreak, with more than 550 victims among the 2,600 deaths so far recorded.Like Sierra Leone, Liberia is currently battling with the Ebola pandemic, and its citizens and residents are presently observing a 90-day state of emergency declared in August by President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Ozil return out of the question for Loew

first_img“Players who have resigned will not have a role to play in future.”Ozil, capped 92 times, announced his retirement from international football in the wake of Germany’s disastrous World Cup campaign, with his statement accusing the German FA (DFB) president, Reinhard Grindel, of racism.Loew, meanwhile, regrets not having been able to speak to the Arsenal star about his decision.“Mesut and I enjoyed a lot of success together over the years. I have tried several times to reach him on the phone, without any luck, and I will continue to try and make contact with him in future,” he said.Germany are desperate to put their summertime blues behind them on Thursday when they host the French — the team who succeeded them as World Cup winners — in Munich.The start of the brand new Nations League has thrown up a mouthwatering match for Loew’s side, which will retain a core of players who so badly underperformed in Russia.“We are facing a new beginning. I feel that there is a positive impatience among the players to make amends for the summer,” Loew said at the Allianz Arena.Loew, who resisted calls to resign after a disastrous World Cup campaign, is now under pressure to show that he is the right man to lead Germany into a new era of success. He has a contract until 2022, having extended his deal in the spring.“He has done a lot of thinking since the World Cup,” midfielder Toni Kroos said of his coach.“From our training sessions, I feel like we are changing one or two things, and I hope that people see that tomorrow (Thursday).”Veteran midfielder Sami Khedira was among those left out of the squad, while youngsters Thilo Kehrer and Kai Havertz have been called up for the first time.Manchester City’s Leroy Sane also returns after his controversial exclusion from the World Cup squad.– Adjustment in style –The Germany boss is also expected to make tactical changes, having admitted last week that a focus on dominant possession football was his “biggest mistake” at the World Cup.“We have been very successful with possession football in recent years, and we won’t give up on that vision,” said Loew on Wednesday, although he conceded that Germany needed to adjust their style.“Against teams like France, we don’t need to have 70 percent of possession. We need to make sure we get the right balance and focus a bit more on the defence.”In his open appraisal of the World Cup disaster last week, Loew also identified a lack of motivation and questions over the team’s mentality.“We didn’t have the same incredible team spirit that we had in 2014,” admitted Loew. “We weren’t a tight-knit group from the word go.”The Ozil affair has been amplified by reports of a dressing-room rift, with players of an ethnic minority background, such as Ozil and Jerome Boateng, on one side, and the likes of Thomas Mueller and Toni Kroos on the other.“Of course we have guys with different interests, but there are no rifts,” insisted Mueller on Tuesday, adding that the game against France was an opportunity to put such talk to bed.Loew, meanwhile, heaped praise on Thursday’s opponents, who beat Germany in the Euro 2016 semi-finals.“France have been the best team in the world over the last two or three years. They have a incredible balance, are strong in defence and attack and have a lot of quality in every position.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Germany coach Joachim Loew at a press conference in Munich on Wednesday, ahead of Thursday’s game against France © AFP / Christof STACHEMUNICH, Germany, Sep 5 – Germany coach Joachim Loew has confirmed there is no chance of Mesut Ozil returning to the squad in the wake of the player’s bombshell retirement from international duty in July.“I think everything has been said about this. When a player announces his resignation like that, you don’t pick him for the squad eight or nine weeks later,” Loew said at a press conference on Wednesday ahead of Germany’s UEFA Nations League game against World Cup winners France.last_img read more