People’s march to seek Goa CM’s resignation

first_imgFew Goa-based NGOs, political parties, including Congress, civil society groups and individuals will join a ‘people’s march’ led by social activist Rajan Ghate to Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar’s private residence on Tuesday, to demand his resignation. “The march will be held on Tuesday, November 20,” activist lawyer Aires Rodrigues told the press at Azad Maidan, venue of the on-going hunger strike by Mr. Ghate. Mr. Ghate’s indefinite hunger strike to demand the resignation of of ailing Chief Minister to “improve collapsed governance in the State” entered fourth day on Monday.“Mr. Ghate will lead the march to the Dona Paula residence of CM Manohar Parrikar. The march will be attended by Goa’s NGOs, leading individuals and some political parties, including the Congress,” Mr. Rodridgues said. Goa Congress president Girish Chodankar confirmed his party’s participation in the march.Mr. Ghate has been on fast-unto-death for the last four days at the city square demanding that Mr. Parrikar, who is suffering from advanced pancreatic cancer and has been unable to attend office for several months now, either resign or handover the charge of the government in public interest.Apart from the Opposition, which has been demanding his resignation for several months now, on Saturday some Cabinet Ministers from the ruling alliance also conceded while interacting with media that Mr. Parrikar’s prolonged absence from office had brought administration to a standstill.last_img read more

Defense a priority for talented Chooks Pilipinas 3×3

first_imgMOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. More than 5,000 measles deaths in DR Congo this year — WHO The Chooks-Pilipinas 3×3 squad. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO/ Joaqui FloresCoach Eric Altamirano felt that last year’s Philippine team for the 3×3 World Cup could have done better had the team not run into injuries along the way.Mac Belo, Karl Dehesa, and Glenn Khobuntin fought valiantly in the 2016 tilt, but could only muster a 2-2 slate to finish third in Group C and miss out in the knockout stages of the 3×3 World Cup in China.ADVERTISEMENT Lakers win 9th straight, hold off Pelicans View comments LOOK: Vhong Navarro’s romantic posts spark speculations he’s marrying longtime GF Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games South Korea to suspend 25% of coal plants to fight pollutioncenter_img LATEST STORIES Diaz’ weightlifting success inspires kids in Mindanao Children’s Games Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students PLAY LIST 01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes “I thought that we could have done better last year except that Russel Escoto got injured,” said Altamirano, remembering last year’s campaign in the international halfcourt stage.“We were playing with three players, so in the end, they got burned out. During the crucial stages, we didn’t have any gas left,” he said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingThis time,Chooks-Pilipinas 3×3 will be out for redemption in the 2017 Fiba 3×3 World Cup in Nantes, France from June 17 to 21.Kobe Paras, Jeron Teng, Kiefer Ravena, and JR Quiñahan will wear the national tri-colors as they compete in Group B against hosts France, Slovenia, Romania, and El Salvador. ‘Coming Home For Christmas’ is the holiday movie you’ve been waiting for, here’s why SEA Games: PH beats Indonesia, enters gold medal round in polo Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Though there is no doubt in Altamirano’s mind that his players can rack up the points, his focus, though is on the team’s defense as they brace for bigger foes in the halfcourt.“I have no question about the offense. I think our players have the skill to be able to score. The question I have is on our defense because they’ll be up against bigger and stronger players,” he said.Altamirano, though, expressed confidence that the hunger of the young guns together with Quiñahan’s veteran know-hows will be enough to lift the squad to the win.“Before, we had Terrence Romeo. He was one of the smallest players but he was able to excel and help the team win. And that’s exactly the role I can see Kiefer and Jeron will be filling.  We’ve had experiences before where we have a small lineup and I think that balances also with the athleticism of Kobe and the maturity of JR,” he said.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

500 Volunteers Trained to Search for and Rescue Missing Children

first_img Minister of State in the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information, Hon. Floyd Green, is reporting that 500 volunteers were trained last year to assist in search and rescue operations when a child is reported missing. Between 2009 and 2016, a total of 15,524 children were reported missing. This represents an average of 1,941 children going missing each year, with 78 per cent being girls and 22 per cent, boys. Mr. Green, who was addressing the Ananda Alert National Missing Children’s Forum at the Jamaica Conference Centre, downtown Kingston, on Thursday (May 25), said the Government is committed to protecting the nation’s youth, and urged all well-thinking Jamaicans to do their part. Story Highlights Minister of State in the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information, Hon. Floyd Green, is reporting that 500 volunteers were trained last year to assist in search and rescue operations when a child is reported missing.The volunteers, from communities across the island, also received instruction in first aid techniques.“Not only do we want to know that when a child has gone missing that the reports go out to all our media houses, we want to know that we have volunteers across the length and breadth of Jamaica, who will go out and start the process of searching to bring back our children,” Mr. Green said.The Office of the Children’s Registry (OCR) published the first Search and Rescue Protocol in 2014, and conducted 10 training sessions through the Caribbean Search Centre of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) for over 150 volunteers in St. James, Trelawny, St. Ann, St. Thomas, Westmoreland and St. Catherine.Mr. Green, who was addressing the Ananda Alert National Missing Children’s Forum at the Jamaica Conference Centre, downtown Kingston, on Thursday (May 25), said the Government is committed to protecting the nation’s youth, and urged all well-thinking Jamaicans to do their part.He noted that significant reforms have been undertaken in terms of how the State responds to missing children.This includes updating the reporting timeline to allow for a missing-person report to be made before 24 hours have passed.“Once you reasonably suspect that a child has gone missing, you can make that report to the police, to the OCR and we will start working on it immediately,” the State Minister pointed out.In addition, a partnership has been forged with Facebook to broadcast Ananda Alerts to users of the social media site in Jamaica.This is expected to broaden the search for missing children. These alerts will include photographs and other pertinent information about the child.In the meantime, the Minister urged parents to do more to ensure that their children feel safe and protected.“A lot of children leave home because of what they term as maltreatment and neglect,” he pointed out.He said the Ananda Alert Secretariat has undertaken an internal study to determine the profile of children who go missing and the main reasons they give. He said it is the intention of the Secretariat to undertake a broader survey.Between 2009 and 2016, a total of 15,524 children were reported missing. This represents an average of 1,941 children going missing each year, with 78 per cent being girls and 22 per cent, boys.Last year, the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) reported some 1,725 children missing, a decline of 11 per cent over the previous year.The State Minister pointed out that 90 per cent of missing children return home. “I do not take comfort in the fact that we have a 90 per cent return rate because it does mean that there are 10 per cent that remain unaccounted for,” he said.last_img read more

Chelsea Manning no threat to Canada should be allowed in advocates say

first_imgOTTAWA – A U.S. soldier convicted of leaking thousands of classified documents poses no security threat to Canada and ought to be allowed into the country, advocates said Monday.Chelsea Manning tried to enter Canada last month to travel to Montreal and Vancouver, but was turned away at the Canada-U.S. land border when officials determined her crimes were akin to a violation of Canadian treason laws and made her inadmissible.Her case was referred to the Immigration and Refugee Board for a hearing, but advocates want Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen to step in, using his authority under immigration and refugee law to waive the original decision.More than forty organizations and individuals wrote to the minister late last week, including academics, civil liberties organizations, Canada’s association of Quakers and activists Naomi Klein and Avi Lewis, among others.“Ms. Manning’s case is an exceptional one. It’s exactly the kind of one where the minister should be exercising his direction,” said Lex Gill, a technology law researcher and advocate.“There are very strong public interest reasons to allow Ms. Manning to come into Canada and there is no public safety risk in allowing her to do so.”A spokesman for the minister said Hussen had no comment.“As this matter has been put before the courts it would be inappropriate to comment on this matter,” Hursh Jawal said in an email.No hearing date has been set yet for Manning’s case before the immigration appeals division.There’s a lengthy backlog before that section of the Immigration and Refugee Board; as of the end of September, there were more than 10,000 cases waiting for a decision and hundreds of new ones are filed each month.The 29-year-old transgender woman was known as Bradley Manning when she was convicted and sentenced to 35 years in prison after turning over hundreds of thousands of classified documents to WikiLeaks that exposed previously withheld details of the U.S. military effort in Iraq and Afghanistan.She is appealing her conviction and technically remains a member of the U.S. military while those court proceedings are underway.But she was released from military prison in May after serving seven years; in his last days in office, President Barack Obama commuted the rest of her sentence.Shortly before she was turned away from Canada, Harvard University reversed its decision to name her a fellow after the nomination caused an uproar.Both Canadian academics and civil rights groups said in their letters they’d welcome the chance to have Manning speak at their institutions, not just about the material she released but on her work as an advocate in her own right for government transparency and LGBT rights.“Letting Chelsea enter Canada would affirm Canada’s values of dialogue, freedom of expression, and human rights,” wrote Christopher Parsons from the University of Toronto.“More than that, letting Chelsea in is simply the right thing to do.”last_img read more

CANADIANS STEPHAN JAMES AND WINNIE HARLOW ARE ELLE CANADA COVER STARS FOR

first_imgActor Stephan James and model Winnie Harlow may have careers that have led them far away from home, but their connection to Toronto is stronger than ever. In our cover story, shot on the streets of Little Jamaica, we find out what it takes to walk a path of your own creation and go up against the odds and win.WINNIE HARLOWWinnie Harlow is striding down Eglinton West in Toronto’s Little Jamaica like she’s on a runway in Paris. She’s wearing a floor-length houndstooth Chanel coat and not much else. Traffic has come to a halt as our photographer orbits her, and people passing by are scrambling for their phones so they can capture the moment. And this is definitely a moment. Advertisement Facebook Advertisement Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Twitterlast_img read more